40 Gallon Breeder design (pics wanted)

JeepFreak81

Hello everyone!!!

So me and my wife are brainstorming about our next setup. We got a leo a couple weeks ago and now my wife has agreed with me that she'd like 1 or 2 more. We decided we'd like to setup a 40 gallon breeder tank. Petco is currently running the $1 per gallon sale so we can actually afford this type of tank.

First a question - what does everyone think about housing 2 geckos in this size tank? It would be 2 females but my wife wants a Giant, and I'd be getting a regular. Also they will be purchased a few months apart so I'm sure the age will vary a bit. Will the size difference be a problem??

Now onto the tank design, I'm assuming 2 of everything will be needed. 2 warm hides, 2 cool hides, and 2 humid hides. Shared food and water should be ok I think?

A second level will be in the plan and we are going to make most everything ourselves out of styrofoam and grout, pvc, etc.

So I'm looking for some ideas and especially PICTURES of peoples setups of this size tank. Looking for some ideas and also some visual help. If anyone is housing multiple geckos in a 40 gallon or similar sized tank I'd love to see your setup.

Thanks in advance everyone!! :main_thumbsup::main_thumbsup:

Jusselin

Not sure about housing a giant and a normal together.... I know normally the size difference means one could be bullied. You can offer two of everything but sometimes the geckos are weird like that, I had two of everything but they liked to sleep on top of each other so, yeah lol.

Last edited:

JeepFreak81

Well I suppose seems I won't be able to change my wife's mind about a giant, I'd have to consider a giant as it's cage mate...lol

Pictures of setups anyone? Or other thoughts, suggestions?

BossLady

This design currently holds 3 males and 2 females quite nicely. These pictures are a few years old and I have since put them into an Exo-Terra 40 gallon breeder, but the basic design is the same. I have sand with slate tiles as the substrate, aswell as a few more hides and large branch/tree thingy.

0062rt.jpg

008dbk.jpg

009hap.jpg

010ox.jpg

dsc00197ts.jpg

dsc00224vf.jpg

dsc00223cf.jpg

Like I said, it has changed a little since then. the new cage design and background really improve how it looks, aswell as a new hide or two. but it still resembles that layout pretty nicely. I may try to upload a current picture tonight if I remember to charge the battery in my camera. :)

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
It is my own personal opinion that leopard geckos are healthiest and happiest living on their own. They aren't gregarious and don't need the company of other geckos. I feel housing multiple geckos together increases the risk of infection between the animals.

Plus, you have to worry about space, the size between the geckos, cage mate aggression, food competition, dominance, proper quarantine of new arrivals. You also have to make sure your geckos are sexed correctly. Two males should never be housed together, they are aggressive and will fight, while females generally get along. There's a lot of variables to keep in mind. If you are going to carry out this plan, make sure you know what you need to do to keep all the geckos in the tank.

JeepFreak81

well I think we've decided that we are going to get a pair of 20 gallon Longs and house them separately. I think the cons outweigh the benefits of housing 2 geckos together, never mind a giant with a non giant.

ZombiGecko

DragonGecko
Good decision :) It's the best thing to do, but housing together isnt exactly impossible. Just a bit more risky depending on the geckos

Visit our friends