Acclimation Question-Baby Leopard Gecko

lclaypool20

lclaypool20
Hello-

My son just got a new baby leopard gecko. We went to the pick it up on Wed. Dec. 28. It is about 4 inches long and looks to be in good health. It is alert, bright eyed, decent tail size. I have been reading care sheets and other posts and have a question that just hasn't been fully answered:

I understand that It might take up to 2 weeks for the gecko to acclimate to its new surroundings. It does not come out of its moist hide unless I get it out. It has eaten 2-3 pinhead crickets since it came home. I have a dish of small mealworms in the tank. It has defecated twice. Stools look normal.

Everything I have read so far says to leave the gecko alone until it gets acclimated. Should I get out of hide for feedings? My concern is that it could be losing weight or physically looking different. I have not got it out of its hide for the last 3 days and there is no sign of defecation or eating.

My set-up is a 20 Gallon Long tank with a moist hide on the warm side and 2 other hides, one in middle and one on cool side. I have an UTH with a thermostat that ranges in temp from 89-93 F.

When I read to leave it alone for up to 2 weeks does that mean put food in and walk away and hope everything works out?

Thanks-
LC

roger

Hello-

My son just got a new baby leopard gecko. We went to the pick it up on Wed. Dec. 28. It is about 4 inches long and looks to be in good health. It is alert, bright eyed, decent tail size. I have been reading care sheets and other posts and have a question that just hasn't been fully answered:

I understand that It might take up to 2 weeks for the gecko to acclimate to its new surroundings. It does not come out of its moist hide unless I get it out. It has eaten 2-3 pinhead crickets since it came home. I have a dish of small mealworms in the tank. It has defecated twice. Stools look normal.

Everything I have read so far says to leave the gecko alone until it gets acclimated. Should I get out of hide for feedings? My concern is that it could be losing weight or physically looking different. I have not got it out of its hide for the last 3 days and there is no sign of defecation or eating.

My set-up is a 20 Gallon Long tank with a moist hide on the warm side and 2 other hides, one in middle and one on cool side. I have an UTH with a thermostat that ranges in temp from 89-93 F.

When I read to leave it alone for up to 2 weeks does that mean put food in and walk away and hope everything works out?

Thanks-
LC

Leaving it alone means not to pick the animal up for a couple of weeks.All your husbundry is good.When you feeding throw some crickets in and leave them for a couple of hours.Also make sure he has fresh water.If the leo hasnt eaten them in 2 hours remove them and discard the crickets.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
This is what I like to do with any new additions:
Each day I will uncover the hide, and lift them up gently, while talking softly. That way I can check their hide and also be sure nothing is seriously wrong with the new little one. There is no excess handling, until they start to venture out on their own which can be from one week to one month, depending on the gecko. I am glad I do this, because sometimes there will be a cricket lurking inside the hide...which is a major no no!!

stager

Leave him till he adjusts. And it seems like you have already done some research so your off to a good start.

Visit our friends