GoldGeckoGurl

Aloha!
I live in Hawaii where we have lots of geckos in the wild. As far as I can remember, there were grayish geckos that came out during the night to hunt bugs landing on window screens. I used to be squeamish about any sort of crawling critters, but that has changed.

A couple of years ago, we put out bananas for the mijiro birds, but soon the Gold Dust Day geckos started coming out to feast on the buffet. Before we knew it, their numbers increased and they took over the back deck. When we ate lunch, they would crawl on the table and beg for fruit. They are very engaging and make good eye contact.

Some of them are fearless and would jump on me. It used to make me scream, which is just a spontaneous over reaction. The other day, I was photographing them in the backyard and when I brought the camera up to my face, a gecko was on the LCD. Amazingly, I didn't scream or jump. I've come a long way!

They are like my pets, but live in the wild. They sometimes like to sneak in the house, but we catch and release them outside where they have a better chance of surviving.

The unexpected bonus for me is that the gold dust day geckos are beautiful photographic subjects. I love to capture their details, colors and poses.

Anyway, this is my humble gecko story.

GGG
"Gold Gecko Girl"

GoldGeckoGurl Portrait 5279.png

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! I have a gold dust day gecko that comes from a Hawaiian colony. My geckos are caged but I do have (unintentional) free range crickets in the house.

Aliza

GoldGeckoGurl

Welcome! I have a gold dust day gecko that comes from a Hawaiian colony. My geckos are caged but I do have (unintentional) free range crickets in the house.

Aliza

Thanks! Maybe our geckos are related.

The bonus of your free range crickets is that you don't have to go camping to hear their soothing chirping sounds.

Visit our friends