Any advice on infertile eggs?

UKFatties

Hi all,

Thought I'd try and breed my Fatties this season even though I was originally going to wait until next season, maybe I should have waited :eek:

I placed them together with my male back at the beginning of January and so far have had 2 clutches from both. Unfortunately they have both laid one egg at a time and each time the eggs have been very soft and sticky like a small sack of water, very yellow looking inside. From what I've read these seem like infertile eggs, is this normal to have two infertile clutches?

Anything I can do to improve the chances of getting fertile eggs?

Or unfortunately have I missed them ovulating?

Both girls have been given a pinkie once per week and all their food gets calcium coated. One girl 11 months old and weighs 50g and the other is 8 months old and weighs 44g.

I'm jealous of you lucky owners that have eggs cooking :main_thumbsup:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Fattie eggs in my experience don't always do as well as leo eggs. It's not unusual for a first-timer to have infertile eggs, sometimes just at first and sometimes for the entire season. I've had 2 clutches mold pretty quickly from a female that was successful last season. Nothing to do but hope for the best and keep incubating.

Aliza

UKFatties

Thanks for that. its not just the fact they are infertile that im worried about. the eggs dont seem to be forming a shell properly before they are laid..... im worried that maybe they are lacking calcium however ive made sure the females have a ready supply of calcium in their dish and also they are fed a pinkie once a week and all food is calcium coated so i dont think its to do with lack of calcium. I thought i would seek peoples advice on this so what do people think? could it be that they fattie realised the eggs were infertile and so passed them before wasting the energy to fully form them?

Visit our friends