Any Chance?

JoshOwen

So today, to my surprise, I found two eggs in my SHTCT's tank. She's currently in a 30 gallon tank that's divided. On the other side of the 30 gallon is a male HTCT. He got into her side a while back and I thought I had got him out before he managed to accomplish anything but I stand corrected I guess. Anyway I am not prepared to say the least. I found them on the papertowl and I am guessing they had been there about an hour or two. I did the albey setup and everything the one major problem however is that I am in the process of buying a new bator. I've currently got them in with there mom in an area of the tank that stays about 85 or 86. So my question is: What are the chances that they'll make it? Anyone's opinion with experience on this kind of situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If the humidity is high and you can keep the temperatures pretty steady, it's definitely worth a try. There are people on here who have hatched eggs by leaving them in the tank where the gecko buried them.

Aliza

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Josh, does the female have a humid hide and if she does what type of substrate does she have. I have noticed that when a female Leo lays eggs out of the substrate, they are bad. With that being said, I would still put the eggs in a substrate and see how they do.

JoshOwen

yeah, it has moss in it. we put them in the substrate now though they have a dip in both eggs. I followed the albey method perfectly i think. Any reason why both eggs would have a dip like that?

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Usually if they lay outside of the humid hide the eggs are not fertile. The dip in the eggs would demonstrate that, but I would keep them incubating until they mold or totally sink in.

JoshOwen

definitely will do. Yeah I was just reading about the whole dip in the eggs thing. I candled them and it's just yellow ooze inside. No signs of life like most fertile eggs have but the ones I have seen have been incubated for four days. Does candling this early work?

Landen

LSReptiles
It sounds as if they are infertile but when in doubt incubate them untill they are obviously bad.
The end of last year my incubater went out, I placed about a dozen eggs in a large air tight rubbermaid and place a thermometer in several places within that container so I could try to get as accurate as I could. I put the tub in the right spot in one of my display tanks. I think I lost 2-3 of them. Two of these eggs turned out to be my two best of 09's. So it can work if she continues to lay eggs. Sometimes the first set are infertile but the 2nd on can be fertile so be ready if she lays another set.

JoshOwen

thanks for the help thad and landen. I'm definitely going to try to hatch them until the eggs go bad. I'm pretty much positive they are infertile. I didn't plan on hatching any this year I'm trying to get enough experience under my belt so when the time comes I'll know what I'm doing. I'll definitely be breeding this young lady next year though.

Visit our friends