Any way to stop my gecko running when I handle him?

Sophie

I've had him almost 3 months. Recently he's been getting very sociable and climbing onto my hand and/or climbing up my arm and onto my shoulder without me having to kind of force him to be picked up. He REALLY loves to come out and explore.. Which I'm happy about because it took a while for him to get used to everything.. However when he does want to be held the minute he's even slightly out of his cage he'll get over excited and start running and he's FAST. I'm too scared to do anything more than hold him over his cage in case he jumps and escapes.
I don't think he's running out of fear or he wouldn't have wanted to come out in the first place. I just have no idea how to slow him down so I can handle him and let him explore without having to worry about him running off somewhere!
Any tips on how I can stop him running? Will he grow out of this? He's pretty much an adult now so I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever slow down!

(I'm completely new to this site, so I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place) :)

DrCarrotTail

I think they tend to run as a reflex when they're little. They don't even think about it, its just instinct. The bigger they get the calmer and slower they get as long as you're gentle and kind to them :)

KTyne

Kayla
How old is he?
If you're scared of dropping him hold him over your bed or sit on the floor.
Leos generally calm down with age. My Leo Gaia was jumpy until she was nearly a year and a half old.
Now that she's over 2 she is extremely calm and basically just sits there or walks around slowly when you take her out. :)
Young Geckos = hyper, spazzy Geckos. :)

Sophie

Oh okay thanks! I'm not 100% sure on his age. I think considering his size he's around 8/9 months maybe even a year old. I hope he does calm down! :')

Visit our friends