Anyone awake right now?

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
So i just got home, checked the incubator, and there was a baby in the incubator that got halfway hatched out the egg, and was motionless (usually by this point, you can see them breathing). Last night, the same thing happened to it's clutchmate when it started to hatch, but I didn't get to it in time because I was at work, and found it dead when I got home, 3/4 of the way out the egg (hind legs and tail still in the egg) because the egg didn't crack large enough and the yolk sack was still attached and not soaked up yet, and couldn't pull itself the rest of the way out. Well, same thing happened to this baby... I went to take it out, and thought it didn't make it either, and then i saw its mouth open wide and take a big gasp of air, and then motionless again. So now I am trying to save it's life and trying to make it pull thru this hatching process. I have taken the gecko and egg out of the incubator (huge yolk sack still attached), and pulled the egg a little wider so that hopefully if I am able to get it's breathing going, it won't have trouble getting out. The baby has now soaked up the rest of the yolk sack, and so now I have it out of the egg, and i keep rubbing his back and top of his head to try and get his nerves going from the sense of touch, so his engines will start up. About every 2-3 mins or so, he opens his mouth wide and take a huuuuuge gulp of air, and then motionless for the next 3 minutes or so... Seems like right now he is living on borrowed time, one big gulp of air at a time....

WHAT SHOULD I DO??? lol...

I want to save this poor little guy! He's perfect in every way, an absolutely beautiful DOUBLE Reverse Striped Emerine... just needs to get that little boost to get up and go. Anyone else ever have this happen to you and got any suggestions???

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I had a hatchling a couple of weeks ago that needed to be helped out of the egg. I left him in a deli cup on moist paper towel in the incubator for a few days until the yolk was absorbed and he was moving around. I wound up culling him because he didn't shed properly, had deformed toes and started spinning (not an Enigma oddly enough). Yours sounds like he is in bad shape, I would cull him.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Ok, so I made this thread at 4:23, and he took a big gulp of air about 5 minutes after that, and now just took another one at 4:42... he's still hangin in there for some reason! If he makes it thru this, and is able to follow that one gulp of air with an immediate 2nd and then 3rd, then I'll deff. call him "Lucky"!

Last edited:

roger

Ok, so I made this thread at 4:23, and he took a big gulp of air about 5 minutes after that, and now just took another one at 4:42... he's still hangin in there for some reason! If he makes it thru this, and is able to follow that one gulp of air with an immediate 2nd and then 3rd, then I'll deff. call him "Lucky"!

I would not wait too long.If he is suffering and gasping u need to cull now.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Unfortunately, no, he did not make it. He was doing the gasp for air thing for about an hour and a half. I stayed up till about 6am with him on a paper towel in my hand, so he had warmth, and still rubbing his head and back, but the gasps of air started to get further and further apart till eventually it stopped altogether. I tried my darndest to make him pull thru it, but I guess just some things aren't meant to be. I know its a little "cliche", but if he made it, i was going to name him "Lucky" or "Lucky Lad" if he turned out to be male, and "Lady Luck" if it turned out to be female, and would have just kept it as a pet after all that time tryin to save it's life, and knowing that it was my hand that made him survive the ordeal... woulda had a special place right here to stay... no tub or rack system for him! He woulda been "20-gallon long" status! lol

Anyway, it was crazy, he would take the big gulps of air, and after "he" inhaled a big breath of air, it was like he was holding his breath because he would exhale only right before the next breath, and u could tell he was closing his throat because it would be sunkin in

Visit our friends