Baby leopard gecko leg problem!!!!

NickList

I just got this little girl on the 15th at the all ohio reptile show and just noticed how one of her legs were crocked up and one was flatish on the ground she still zips around her cage and has movement in them. Please help me identify the problem :( IMG_20130619_220447_196.jpg

Terrain_pull up

It's likely a calcium deficiency problem while the gecko was forming in the egg. Make sure to keep the calcium/multi-vitamin supplements going at every feeding.

Also, I would never buy from that vendor again. That person obviously doesn't care about quality and only about money. If they were to sell a gecko like that it should be disclosed to you and a price adjusted in my opinion any way.

NickList

Thanks man your a life saver my anxiety was off the wall there for a bit , I don't think im going to buy from the reptile show anymore tbh , I once bought a baby sulcata that wasn't active and had his eyes closed (the guy told us "it just ate a banana and they are just sugar glued" it later died a month after purchased from liver failure) I will be emailing Ohio Geckos about this shortly i don't want my money back i just want to let them know how careless that was to take advantage of me :( he was also selling a baby tang. with one tiny eye and one big one that should of been a sign to me. well thanks for letting me know!!! this doesn't make me love Lazoi any less the extra care will make me more attatched to her if anything EDIT: and also theres to many people at the reptile show that they see there retiles as products and objects not living breathing things i will be buying from people on this forum next reptile that do it as a hobby and have passion

Last edited:

Samantha12

Sad to hear Ohio Geckos sold this to you without warning. They're usually a really honest and respectable breeder. Glad you're willing to work with her and not just give up! Wishing you and your new addition the best.

NickList

They could of not noticed it , hell i didn't notice it for 3 days. im sure she will try to work with me on this if anything :) it just saddens me that she turned out this way , its always sad for something like this to happen. she eats like a champ tho and i don't think its affecting her movement at all. shes a fast one :)

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Thanks man your a life saver my anxiety was off the wall there for a bit , I don't think im going to buy from the reptile show anymore tbh , I once bought a baby sulcata that wasn't active and had his eyes closed (the guy told us "it just ate a banana and they are just sugar glued" it later died a month after purchased from liver failure) I will be emailing Ohio Geckos about this shortly i don't want my money back i just want to let them know how careless that was to take advantage of me :( he was also selling a baby tang. with one tiny eye and one big one that should of been a sign to me. well thanks for letting me know!!! this doesn't make me love Lazoi any less the extra care will make me more attatched to her if anything EDIT: and also theres to many people at the reptile show that they see there retiles as products and objects not living breathing things i will be buying from people on this forum next reptile that do it as a hobby and have passion

Sorry we sold you this gecko and didn't catch the MDB. We didn't take advantage of you we missed this on the gecko. All our geckos are on display and most customers look them over carefully before they buy. We in no way tried to hide anything from you. I will give you a full refund the next reptile show. Just bring the gecko back . I found out we have several geckos from this one breeding group that has MDB, actually two geckos and they are clutch mates. I will be watching the rest of the babies from this breeding group before we release any. I believe this problem is from one female in the 1.3 group, but I will keep back all the babies to be sure.

Douglas, we are very passionate about our reptiles and customers.

Here is the Email I received after this OP was made.
"
"I purchased a baby tang. enigma ph tremper on the 15th from you guys and recently noticed a weird leg deformation and posted up a thread on a forum who told me it was most likely a calcium deficiency while the gecko was forming the egg. I don't want my money back or anything , im not angry in anyway because you guys probably didn't notice it just like I didn't. I was wondering if you guys still had the baby with a small eye and if it was female?"

We sold the small eye gecko for $10 as a pet only. It was clearly marked on the container. It was a very vibrant orange gecko and I do not like to cull geckos that are thriving and have a defect that does not impair their health.

NickList

Everyone makes mistakes man , i should of looked over the little girl better. It was easy to not notice i didnt even notice it now. Thanks for the refund i probably put it a little more money in to a more expensive one of your geckos ! sorry if i offended you in anyway i should of went to you first. Thanks everything il be looking forward to seeing you next month!

DrCarrotTail

Sorry to hear about your little gal. I would assume, like you said, they didn't notice the issue. I've bought many a gecko from Ohio Gecko and never had an issue. I can't imagine they would have sold this little one knowing about the problem and I can't fathom that they won't go 100% out of their way to set the issue to rights if you let them know what's going on.

Could she have hurt herself or otherwise broken it while in your care? It would seem odd to me for a Calcium deficiency to only affect one leg and not any other bones. Does she act strangely in any other way?

IMO Reptile shows in general are a crap shoot. There are great breeders that attend and folks that are just trying to make a buck off of sick and/or dying animals. Even though we wish it wouldn't apply when animals are involved they seem to be places where the phrase "Caveat Emptor" must be kept in mind in every purchase.

NickList

Sorry to hear about your little gal. I would assume, like you said, they didn't notice the issue. I've bought many a gecko from Ohio Gecko and never had an issue. I can't imagine they would have sold this little one knowing about the problem and I can't fathom that they won't go 100% out of their way to set the issue to rights if you let them know what's going on.

Could she have hurt herself or otherwise broken it while in your care? It would seem odd to me for a Calcium deficiency to only affect one leg and not any other bones. Does she act strangely in any other way?

IMO Reptile shows in general are a crap shoot. There are great breeders that attend and folks that are just trying to make a buck off of sick and/or dying animals. Even though we wish it wouldn't apply when animals are involved they seem to be places where the phrase "Caveat Emptor" must be kept in mind in every purchase.
I dont think she could have broke her leg while with me , i took a picture the day i got her and just looked over it and it looks like the problem was there then. Iv seen her lift her back legs up and like not shake it but tense up and the put it down multiple times she does this about every time i see her its almost like shes stretching

DrCarrotTail

I apparently opened this past night while falling asleep and didn't refresh my page before I posted this morning. Glad to see you got in touch with Thad and will work it out. I hope to see pictures of the next gecko you get!! Sorry this happened!

Terrain_pull up

Crap, I didn't know it was Thad you bought from. I'm going to get booted off this forum now for my opinion...sorry Thad...lol In fairness to Ohio Gecko I've also bought a gecko from them a few years ago and I'm happy to report he is alive and thriving. My experience with Ohio Gecko has only been positive to date as well. I just like to say good on Thad for stepping up and publicly acknowledging the error and making amends for it. To me that is a sign of good character. I bought from a well known breeder in Canada not too long ago and there was a mix up in gender. After I contacted the breeder just to say what happened he also acknowledged the mistake and corrected it. To me it makes the difference of whether I'll buy from them again. A little customer service here and there keeps people coming back ;)

NickList

Crap, I didn't know it was Thad you bought from. I'm going to get booted off this forum now for my opinion...sorry Thad...lol In fairness to Ohio Gecko I've also bought a gecko from them a few years ago and I'm happy to report he is alive and thriving. My experience with Ohio Gecko has only been positive to date as well. I just like to say good on Thad for stepping up and publicly acknowledging the error and making amends for it. To me that is a sign of good character. I bought from a well known breeder in Canada not too long ago and there was a mix up in gender. After I contacted the breeder just to say what happened he also acknowledged the mistake and corrected it. To me it makes the difference of whether I'll buy from them again. A little customer service here and there keeps people coming back ;)
I feel the same way! Im more than happy about how things will turn out :)

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member

:) Don't worry, you will not get banned from the forums. We never had MDB in babies like this before and this is something we need to be more careful with. Hopefully we can track this down to one female in the group, which is what I believe it is. They have calcium offered to them 24x7 so I'm thinking we might have a breeder that needs to be retired.

NickList

her left back leg looks to be getting worse its been like this but it seems to be getting worse she walks on the ball of her foot and constantly stops to stretch out her legs in the air if that makes sense. i feel awful for this little girl i started her up on 0.01 of liquid calcium glubionate once a day to help her with the MBD and i really hope everything works out for the girl :(
IMG_20130621_192032_860.jpg

Terrain_pull up

Also with the vitamins try some calcium WITH D3. Vitamin D3 is required in order to metabolize calcium properly in their bodies. There are a ton of threads about D3 overdose but the amounts that would need to be consumed is ridiculous for a D3 overdose to ever happen. Especially in this situation it's work the risk. I always use calcium plus D3 for my breeding females in bowls.

Visit our friends