Boss is acting really strange. Help?

bry12345

Boss has eaten 1 full, 15 mealworm meal in the past week. Other than that, I feed her every 2 days. A few times I've noticed 1 or 2 missing, but the majority are untouched. However, her tail and body hasn't really changed size, and she's still 56 grams and hasn't lost any weight.

When it comes to food, she's on a staple of mealworm dusted with Repashy. She used to always come out the second she heard her bowl, now she won't even react to them moving in tweezers or crawling along the title. Her temps are the same they've always been. Humid hide is low 80s, hot hide is low 90's, cool side is roughly 75. Nothing has really changed there.

The other thing is, she's out and about WAY more. every night when I come home mow, she's usually laying beside her warm hide or on top of it in her water bowl. Tonight, me and my girlfriend have just been chilling out and she's been walking all across her tank, staring at us, then the tv, then the door or the floor. We took her out, and it was a constant struggle to keep her around. Every time she could possibly make a break for it, she'd pick up the pace.

Any ideas for what's going on? Due to the good situation, she hasn't pooped as much. But I still find one every 2 or 3 days. Her last shed was a little over a week ago, and it was right before that where her hunger strike began.

Here's a picture of her for size reference. 7 1/2 to 8 inches long.
20160314_193034.jpg
20160314_193046.jpg

Neon Aurora

She may be ovulating. =) Leopard geckos often stop eating when it begins. It's also not always obvious. Two of my females are doing the same thing as yours, sort of eating maybe a couple mealies here and there. They don't appear to be ovulating yet, but their eating patterns have changed. It seems normal to me.

bry12345

I had a feeling her lack of eating would end up being something like ovulating.

Any idea why she's acting weird other than that? I'm so used to her sleeping most of the time, and now she's staring at me or something else all the time. I never thought I'd be worried about an animal being more active lol.

Neon Aurora

That may also be because of ovulation. I don't notice much of a difference in my females' behavior when they're ovulating, but I do notice a difference in my males'. One of my males in particular seems restless, he digs at the sides of his tub ever since the season started and I frequently hear furious tail-rattling. I do think that breeding season can have an affect on their behavior, just as ovulating often has an affect on mammal behavior (PMS, stuff like that).

bry12345

Thanks for your help! I'm glad this stuff seems normal. I'm assuming her rubbing her head against the glass is the same thing. Probably thinks her reflection is a male or something lol. Thanks again!

baileydonk

At about four or five months old, my leopard gecko started acting similarly to yours. We keep mealworms in his/her (?) bowl at all times. When she was growing, she would usually eat from 12-18 mealworms every single night. Now, most nights she eats at most one or two. Every couple of weeks she gets real hungry and eats everything in her bowl and begs for more. And activity level is through the roof - in the evenings she starts climbing on all her "furniture", and she'll climb right up any arm that she can reach. I even see her out walking around quite a lot during daylight hours. She pays a lot of attention to the cats, following them when they walk by her tank. Hmm... why am I suddenly calling it a "she"? My son calls it "he". I've looked, but I can't tell and I don't suppose it really matters to us. Anyway, I expected the gecko to be very quiet and lazy as a grownup, but so far it's the most active reptile I've ever had.

Visit our friends