breeding question

Anakan2

I was sold a pair (male and female) of geckos a while back and am new to geckos. I was researching breeding because for whatever reason this male isn't producing with any proven female geckos. His tail always looked different to me but didn't give it much thought until I found articles and pictures of fat tailed geckos. I truly believe this male is a fat tailed gecko. Would that explain the infertile eggs from his female mates who have always been leopard geckos?
It is probably a very elementary question and I apologize if the question leaves everyone agast but I truly do not know.

Warmly,
Jenny

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
That would definitely explain it. Post a pic of him and you can get a quick answer as to whether he is a leo or a fatty.

Anakan2

I am technically challenged and this computer that i am currently on is a Mac and new to me. Maybe my hubby who has some experience with it can help me get a photo up. I contacted the lady who sold them to me and she said that he is indeed a fat tail.
So, if he is a fat tail, I assume that they don't mate well with leo's if at all.
I will work on a pic. When you see his tail, you will know. It looks like many of the fat tails I have seen. (some of the fat tails I have seen on the computer have regular looking tails but different markings, sometimes just regular looking tails. His is 'bulbous')

Anakan2

Well, you could be absolutely right about his tail being regenerated. That is what I thought originally but I contacted the gal who sold him to me and she said that he is in fact a fat tail. If she told me that when she sold him to me, I honestly would have thought that she was just telling me that he had a fat tail because I had no idea that there was such a thing. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture right now. I am having some troubles. I am trying to upload directly from my camera and the forum is asking for an url so I am a bit confused and probably doing it all wrong. I will keep working on it. :)
Jen

Anakan2

I hope this picture works and helps

View attachment 31206
Hey guys. I finally figured out how to reduce the size of the picture so that this forum would accept it. I only hope that I did it correctly. This is a picture of my guy who I was told is a fat tail. If you need more pics, let me know and I will try again.
Jen

Anakan2

Here are 2 more pictures of Tom

Hey all, Here are 2 more pictures of Tom. (I hope these work too) I would love to know for sure if he is truly a fat tail. If he is not, i will sure have to let the girl who sold him to me know.

Most def a regenerated tail, my male has one also. Sometimes the not breeding can be do to other things, temperatures, habitats, or even the individual geckos biology. You never no, but he is definetly a leo!

Anakan2

thank you

Thank you guys for your observations about Tom being a Leo. May I ask why you are so sure? (said with a very pleasant non-defensive tone) :)

I cannot imagine why the gal who sold him to me (July '09) would tell me (months after selling him to me) that he is a fat tail. I didn't even know what that was at the time and kind of dismissed it. It was said in passing.
I called her today to tell her the problems I am having with Zsa-Zsa's eggs being infertile and weird. I told her that I remembered her mentioning something about Tom being a fat tail but I wasn't sure if she said that or if she was just describing his tail and she said, "Tom is a fat tail".
So, now I am just feeling so deflated. #1. Zsa-Zsa, my otherwise proven very fertile mother to 3 beauties is not producing with Tom #2. Have I been mislead by the previous owner or does she just not know?. I just hate being in this uniformed position.
Jen (big sigh)

Sikmike

The previous owner must not know or is mistaking you with someone else, every single thing about your gecko screams leo. There is never a question of whether these animals are fat-tails or leos, they're so different body and morph wise and are two separate species. There are no morphs for fat-tails that come even remotely close to your picture, you can sincerely be assured that your gecko is in fact a Leopard Gecko. The previous owner must be losin' it, I hope it was simply a misunderstanding and no one being taken advantage of.

Anakan2

Well, thankfully nobody was taken advantage of. When I bought the pair from her, there was never any expectation that either was a fat tail because I wasn't even familiar with the species. The only reason it even came up was after I began researching Leo's because I had a sick baby. During my research, I saw information about fat tails and saw a few pictures of fat tailed geckos that had tails just like Tom's. Many months passed and then when he was unsuccessful breeding with my girl who normally, easily produces beautiful babies, I began to wonder why.
I emailed the gal again and she said that Tom is definitely a fat tail and that she would contact the guy who she got him from. She didn't know if he would have papers but she would call him. I told her that I do not need papers that I just want to know for sure. That is it. I just need to know. I trust the folks on this board. I am sure Tom is a leopard gecko. I don't know why he has been unable to produce but like many said, it could be many other things.
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to answer my questions. What a great group of people!!
I will let you all know what becomes of the phone call to the guy who sold Tom to the woman who sold him to me.
Jen

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Thank you guys for your observations about Tom being a Leo. May I ask why you are so sure? (said with a very pleasant non-defensive tone) :)

I cannot imagine why the gal who sold him to me (July '09) would tell me (months after selling him to me) that he is a fat tail. I didn't even know what that was at the time and kind of dismissed it. It was said in passing.
I called her today to tell her the problems I am having with Zsa-Zsa's eggs being infertile and weird. I told her that I remembered her mentioning something about Tom being a fat tail but I wasn't sure if she said that or if she was just describing his tail and she said, "Tom is a fat tail".
So, now I am just feeling so deflated. #1. Zsa-Zsa, my otherwise proven very fertile mother to 3 beauties is not producing with Tom #2. Have I been mislead by the previous owner or does she just not know?. I just hate being in this uniformed position.
Jen (big sigh)

One thing that's been confusing to a lot of people is that a little-used but "common" name for leopard geckos has been "fat tail" because of their fat tails. I've sent messages to two craigslist posters in the last week asking them to change their posts because the gecko in question was a leo not a fat tail. I think the best bet is to use the term "African fat tail" or the latin name "Hemitheconyx caudinctus" to be really sure what people have.

Aliza

Visit our friends