Breeding weight conundrum..

KDesautels08

Hey Guys,

With the new season starting I am starting to pair some of my animals and coming up with some plans for others. Before I breed ANY of my animals, the standard minimum weight they need to be would be 50 grams. While I was weighing some of the Geckos I had hatch in the 2015 season, one of the babies I weighed was 45 grams at just 6 months old, and gaining weight rapidly. I am debating weather or not it will be safe to breed her this season or not.

Opinions?

Thanks.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
I have a standard that works for me. If they are at least 60 grams, and still under one year of age, ok to breed. If they are over one year, and a healthy 55 grams, then breed. It has worked for me in the past. I tried the 50 gram standard, and had too many infertile eggs, and egg bound females. Just my personal experience. :)

KDesautels08

I have a standard that works for me. If they are at least 60 grams, and still under one year of age, ok to breed. If they are over one year, and a healthy 55 grams, then breed. It has worked for me in the past. I tried the 50 gram standard, and had too many infertile eggs, and egg bound females. Just my personal experience. :)

Thank you for your reply Sally, I have a similar standard for my adults, 50 at bare minimum. This is the first time I had encountered this situation, I figured 5 months old would be too young to breed even if she is at weight. I will most likely weight until 60 grams to breed her.

Thanks

Neon Aurora

I recently went through the same thinking and personally decided against it. My rule is at least 60 grams and at least 1 year old. I just feel better about doing it this way. Many other breeders do it differently, though. Since my 2015 holdback hatched in July of last year, I've decided to wait until next season to breed her since July will just be too late for her to start laying IMO.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have done it on occasion at 9 months and 50 grams. Currently I have a 9 month old giant who weighs about 48 grams and started ovulating 2 months ago. Since she is a giant and will need more time to finish her growth, she's one who will wait till next season. I have fortunately had only 1 egg bound female in the last 12 years (and she was several years old). All the standards mentioned above make sense to me.

Aliza

Visit our friends