Brumation

zakdat

I was starting to worry about Dash (two year old male). He hasn't had anything to eat for over two months. Last year his strike only lasted 5 weeks. His sheds have been good. Somehow he still poops (from eating his shed skin, I guess). Temps have been steady. He has been spending a lot of his time in his moist hide, which is in the middle of his tank. He looks good, nice and healthy size, and yet I worried, apparently for no reason. I weighed him today, and he came in at 81g. [emoji4] It was such a relief to know that he does know what he's doing after all and I can put the worry on hold for now. I've read about brumation and how Leo's can go for months without eating and they'll be fine, but it was another thing to see him in action (or inaction [emoji6] ). We've had him for 1.5 years now and I'm still completely fascinated by him.

Halley

Have you turned off his heat? If the temperature in his cage hasn't changed, it's not brumation.

zakdat

Floor temps have been the same (low 90's in hot hide regulated by thermostat, checked with temp gun), but the ambient temp became a little bit cooler (measured with a digital thermometer with probe). I think he actually did it himself based on the average daylight the room he's in receives. He seems to be self cooling in his humid hide, as it only gets to the low to mid 80's. Every once in awhile I'll catch him warming up in his hot hide, but for the most part he's in the humid hide. I'm not sure what else it would be.

indyana

Sounds like a typical winter slow down to me. I never adjust the heat in my enclosures, but the light cycles and ambient temp in the house tell them it's time to hole up for a while.

Visit our friends