Can a Zilla Thermostat be used with a Rack System?

cowana

I came across a Boaphile RhinoRaxx 16 slot hatchling rack for sale (excellent condition) for an absolute steal, so I snatched it up. I have read people say you can and can't use the Zilla thermostats with rack systems. Does anyone here have any practical experience with this?

This is the thermostat I have:

Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt:Amazon:pet Supplies

Due to my Great Dane being, well a big, loveable, clumsy Great Dane I just spent a small fortune at the vet getting her broken leg fixed. [emoji20] Buying a Helix or another proportional thermostat will have to wait if it can be helped at all.

Thanks!

Amy

Last edited:

cowana

Ugh! I meant to put this under General Care & Husbandry. I shouldn't Internet while distracted. (haha) Can someone move it for me? Sorry! [emoji53]

Neon Aurora

I wouldn't. Cheap, on-off thermostats like that one aren't very reliable and can be potentially dangerous when regulating your entire rack. I asked the same question before I built my rack and was told I should buy a better quality proportional one. I wasn't particularly happy about dishing out the $120 for a good proportional thermostat, but it was definitely worth it and I can now be confident that all my geckos are safe. $120 isn't that much when you consider what would happen if one of those cheap thermostats malfunctioned and fried your entire collection. Not that it's about the money, but it does play a factor.

geckolabs

I currently use one for my Animal plastics rack without issue. There are minimal temperature fluctuations. Just make sure to measure your temps as what the dial reads, will not be the true temperature. Ex. I keep mine set at 101* to keep my hot spots at 91*. As a temporary solution, they are definitely usable, but ideally you do want a proportional thermostat to hold better confidence in the the temperature maintenance.

Plus, with a proportional thermostat, your heat tape will last longer, as it isn't being cut and resupplied power, but instead being consistently on, at varying intensities.

stager

I currently use one for my Animal plastics rack without issue. There are minimal temperature fluctuations. Just make sure to measure your temps as what the dial reads, will not be the true temperature. Ex. I keep mine set at 101* to keep my hot spots at 91*. As a temporary solution, they are definitely usable, but ideally you do want a proportional thermostat to hold better confidence in the the temperature maintenance.

Plus, with a proportional thermostat, your heat tape will last longer, as it isn't being cut and resupplied power, but instead being consistently on, at varying intensities.
I have animal plastic racks and I'm pretty sure they say use proportional thermo only due to risk of fire

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I prefer to use a better thermostat with racks, but I have a huge fear of staring a fire or losing animals. So I'm extra cautious with them.

cowana

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your input! :) I will look into getting a proportional thermostat as soon as possible. My hatchlings aren't due until the first week of April, so I still have about two-three weeks to look around for the best deal I can find and get it up and running before hand. I really like my Helix that is running my incubator, so maybe I can find another deal on one of those. :)

cowana

Does anyone have any suggestions for giving my rack a good cleaning and disinfecting without damaging the heat tape? It has the 11" flex watt tape and is back heated. Everything is in excellent working condition, but it has sat for a few years without being used. It has accumulated a pretty thick layer of dust and whatnot from sitting. (The heat tape is clean though, thankfully!)

Here is a pic of the rack if that helps at all, but you can't really see the dirt on it.

173841107468c1c506fa3443d7ea9598.jpg

Oh, and it was last used for Ball Python hatchlings if that makes a difference.

Amy

Visit our friends