Can I handle my leo?

LucyTheLeo

Hi, I just got a leopard gecko about 8 hours ago. I handled her lots cause I was really excited (even though I shouldn't have(She doesn't seem to mind it)) And I'm wondering If I should let her settle in first. She ate some crickets that I hand fed her, although she has not defecated yet, (she did in the container she came in though) I just don't want her to pass away from stress.
Any advise is helpful!

chipyluna

Hello

Personally I would let her settle in a bit, I got my first Gecko about 3 months ago now and I let her be in her tank for about 2 weeks, I did keep putting my hand in the tank to refill her water and food bowl etc and to clean so she got used to me and realised I wasn't a threat. She then decided to come out on her own by coming up to the glass, I opened the doors and she walked out onto my hand of her own free will. And that's the way we play it now, she comes out when she wants to, if I go top the tank and open the doors and wait sometimes she will walk out too.
She would get a bit scatty if I hovered my hand above her and picked her up , as this is normally a place for predators, sliding your hand underneath her would be a better option if you are wanting to get her out.

Hope the helps, and hope you both enjoy one another :)

Charlotte

LucyTheLeo

Hello

Personally I would let her settle in a bit, I got my first Gecko about 3 months ago now and I let her be in her tank for about 2 weeks, I did keep putting my hand in the tank to refill her water and food bowl etc and to clean so she got used to me and realised I wasn't a threat. She then decided to come out on her own by coming up to the glass, I opened the doors and she walked out onto my hand of her own free will. And that's the way we play it now, she comes out when she wants to, if I go top the tank and open the doors and wait sometimes she will walk out too.
She would get a bit scatty if I hovered my hand above her and picked her up , as this is normally a place for predators, sliding your hand underneath her would be a better option if you are wanting to get her out.

Hope the helps, and hope you both enjoy one another :)

Charlotte

Thank you :)
I try my best to pick her up from her belly, but sometimes she runs away so I have to pick her up the other way:/
Again, thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Visit our friends