cheap hide help?

Jenn_tigercat

Purple Freak :)
Wasn't sure where to put this so if it is in the wrong spot feel free to move it.

My leo has Coccidia. While we are treating it I was wondering if I could use ziploc storage containers as hides (maybe with some paper towels inside as they are see through) to give them a place to hide while I use a bleach solution on their other hides and let them air dry over night. They have lamps right now but I can use heat pads if that would be better.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
awwww, sorry to hear about that. actually the ziploc containers are all i use for hides. that and the styrofoam bowls with a "door" cut out. as far as heat, i always recommend under tank heat over lights. they need the belly heat to aid in digestion. good luck with the treatment

fl_orchidslave

Ziplock containers make great humid hides. I use paper towels in mine except for laying females, they get orchid moss. One of my girls likes paper towels so much that she tore up little pieces to bring in for her eggs. I would definitely recommend using them for a sick animal, as well as for the substrate. Hope your little guy responds favorably to his treatment :) And yes to the under tank heater!!

Blacksupra94

awwww, sorry to hear about that. actually the ziploc containers are all i use for hides. that and the styrofoam bowls with a "door" cut out. as far as heat, i always recommend under tank heat over lights. they need the belly heat to aid in digestion. good luck with the treatment

Any over head heat source ( lamp)will heat up the ground thus giving them belly heat. I use a ceramic heat emitter 24/7 , IMO it mimics real life better as they need to leave their hides to go search for heat during night.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
Any over head heat source ( lamp)will heat up the ground thus giving them belly heat. I use a ceramic heat emitter 24/7 , IMO it mimics real life better as they need to leave their hides to go search for heat during night.

a ceramic heat emitter isn't a light though. the lights that would be required to get the surface of the hot side to 95 degrees would be too bright for the geckos eyes. as long as you are getting the surface to the correct temps, that would work as well. the only problem i see with that is keeping the temps under your hot side hide the same. with under tank heaters, you get a large surface that provides accurate and consistent temps regardless if its under a hide or not. if you have had success with it though that's cool.

Jenn_tigercat

Purple Freak :)
Ziplock containers make great humid hides. I use paper towels in mine except for laying females, they get orchid moss. One of my girls likes paper towels so much that she tore up little pieces to bring in for her eggs. I would definitely recommend using them for a sick animal, as well as for the substrate. Hope your little guy responds favorably to his treatment :) And yes to the under tank heater!!

Yep both babies are on paper towel just easier to clean up and throw out each time. I will put ziploc containers in their tanks. Will make it easier to clean. I am concerned though because they have to be medicated once a day and he stresses so easy. has become quite the little hisser.

a ceramic heat emitter isn't a light though. the lights that would be required to get the surface of the hot side to 95 degrees would be too bright for the geckos eyes. as long as you are getting the surface to the correct temps, that would work as well. the only problem i see with that is keeping the temps under your hot side hide the same. with under tank heaters, you get a large surface that provides accurate and consistent temps regardless if its under a hide or not. if you have had success with it though that's cool.

I will use heat pads on their tanks. I actually like them better and use them for my corns as well since they are the same way and need belly heat to digest. Do their temps really need to be that high. I keep reading that 85-90 is ok or is that just for hatchlings.

Visit our friends