Cleaning and preparing my ten gallon tank?

babybird

Hello everyone,

It's officially winter...:'( I'm freezing in Canada and there is snow everywhere! I decided the safest way would be to go to the pet-store and pick out a leopard gecko. I found a small pet-store and the owner is very experienced in reptiles and seems to take really good care of them.

Anyway....I finally found good homes for my Angelfish that I was housing in the ten gallon tank. They are now happy in a 75 gallon tank and their new owner LOVES fish. :main_thumbsup:

Now....I am stuck with a ten gallon tank filled with gravel and water. Once I removed the gravel and water what would you suggest I clean it with? I have a couple of options but I want it to be completely clean because there was fish, live plants....etc. in it and I want nothing to effect my leopard gecko.

Also, I will be having two long haired cats for a couple of weeks after Christmas. One is an adult (very active....about one year old...) and the other is just a kitten. My friends are going to see family in a different city and asked me to take care of their cats while they are gone. They live too far away for me to visit their house everyday so they are just going to live with me and my boyfriend for a little while. Any tips on keeping the cats away from my leopard? I have a second room that I put my birds in where I can just shut the door to keep the cats from getting at my birds. I should probably just move the tank into the same room and keep the leopard gecko in there while the cats stay....

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion, you should just wash the tank out really well with soap and water and then set it up for the leopard gecko. I have geckos and cats and as long as the tanks are kept covered I have no problems, though if a leo gets out all bets are off.

Aliza

cook75

My cat sleeps on top of my gecko tank. I have to get a new lid soon.

I would not allow my cat to even go in the reptile room. Allowing the cat to be on top of the gecko cages could be stressful to your geckos.

cook75

I would feel safer using some bleach and water and just let the tank air out overnight.

Visit our friends