Clearing things up...

GeckoGrace

Hey guys,
I'd like to thank all of you for helping me by answering my 3 bajillion forum posts... LOL. I know i have been asking a lot of breeding questions and some of you are concerned i havent done enough research to be breeding. Well, let me tell you i am not breeding. When i was in 4th grade my friend wanted to give up his 2 leopard geckos to a good home and i took them in. I noticed he hadn't really done much looking into it and didn't really give the geckos the best care possible, so i gave them a new habitat set-up, change of diet, etc. Then a week later, i found out that while he had thought both geckos were male, they were actually 1 female and 1 male. And then my female laid her first egg. The first one was a dud but all the next ones were fertile, but my parents wouldn't let me incubate them because they said i had enough pets. I felt so bad just throwing the life of an innocent baby away. But this year they finally agreed to let me incubate/hatch ONE egg, and that's why i've been asking so many breeding/hatchling questions. I just wanted to let you guys know so you know i am not a stupid, unprepared person not prepared to breed. My only intentions are to keep ONE egg alive and I am very determined to do so, so I am researching by asking all of you.

Thank you so much for understanding.

JessJohnson87

Forums are great yes, but they also have a search tool where you can find answers to most of your basic questions. Research means taking weeks or months culminating data from different sources and pouring over it until you are ready. Incubating one egg gives you a 50/50 chance that it will either make it or not, but you have to be prepared ahead of time with the right equipment and knowledge.

Breeding Leopard Geckos | The Gecko Spot
Guide to Breeding Leopard Geckos on a Small Scale - Gecko Time - Gecko Time
Gecko Hatchlings with Problems Part 1 - Gecko Time - Gecko Time
Gecko Hatchlings with Problems Part 2 - Gecko Time - Gecko Time

You need to read through those and really soak it in. Just don't dive head first and you honestly need to incubate more than one egg to make sure you will have a baby survive to hatch. I don't breed geckos but I will say this, you need to take a step back and better prepare yourself for this and make sure that you have everything right. I would wait until the next season to even incubate any eggs and separate the geckos until you are 100% ready to deal with this. It's not just oh hey let's have fun with this egg and see what happens, it's also a learning experience.

J&M UNE

Seams like alot of unneeded stress to put on a female to just incubate a egg.. You do realize that they can die from breeding if things were to go wrong wright? If you felt so bad throwing the eggs last year then why this year are you so willing? You are young and I'm not trying to put anyone down for wanting to breed..I was 6 when I got my first snake and 18 years later he is still with me today.. I have learned alot and read more books and spent countless hours reading online forums than you can imagine.. I am a very passionate reptile enthusiast and have no problem doing whatever ever I can to help as long as people will listen.and I'm not saying listen to every word I say because I don't know it all and you won't find a single honest reptile person who will tell you they do.. What I'm saying is take the advice you get and research that advice..read all the links that were posted above thoroughly and get back with any questions

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

J&M UNE

I should also add my collection has now grown to 41 snakes in 7 species 23 leos 28 cresties and 19 pacmans

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I agree with what has been said. I understand that hatching eggs is really exciting, but it's also a big responsibility. Someone taking on this responsibility needs to know everything they can about leopard geckos. Understand the biology of leopard geckos, take advice from people more experienced than yourself (I'm so grateful for all of the advice I've gotten here from the experienced breeders and keepers both).

Most importantly, don't try to skate around doing it right. Thermostats, proper care for the adults (no sand or red lights).

Also a good point made above; no reptile enthusiast is always right and opinions vary across the board. This is one reason why it's important to understand the information yourself so you can make educated decisions on what you want to do.

Excellent links were given. I strongly recommend studying them, and when you're done with those, fine some more. People here are happy to throw information at you all day long if you're willing to take it.

It's also true that hatching one egg from a female is a big waste of her resources. She'll spend tons of energy and risk her life (since breeding does always carry a risk) to produce 10-20 eggs.

Last edited:

Visit our friends