Collared Lizards?

Rell18

Does anyone know if Collared Lizards make good beginner lizards? I was doing some research on them and I'm starting to really like them. Their colors are so beautiful and most of the caresheets I've read say that the captive bred collared lizards are pretty tame. I did want a bearded dragon at first but I want something slightly smaller and collared lizards go perfectly with what I'm looking for.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I have talked to Eve about them a little. They need long habitats larger than a 20 long. They like a lot of ground space. Some can be a bit testy, and they're QUICK. Care seemed pretty simple but if you're looking for a handle-able herp this might not be the one for you.

Suncharmers

Hi guys! Collareds make awesome pets :main_laugh: I think Kel may remember me saying SOME wild caughts can be snippy and hard to handle at first. With patience and daily handling even they become very nice pets. Most of my wild caughts I have had for many years and are super tame/friendly.

Captive bred kids,,,, if handled from the get go are extremely sweet/docile. Colalreds are bouncy and energetic, love to jump around but will hop right in your hand if in the tank. Some just cozy down into your palm when held. I may have told Kel(Dog Shrink) about my famous BIG KONG I had gotten as a wc many years ago and the day I took him out of a sock he arived in he greeted me with a Nice hefty bite, lol. He became one of my most beloved sweetest guys I ever owned.

Now after keeping them as pets and workign with them for dozen or so years I do have to say they need alot of attention to stay healthy. Can't feed and forget. They need to have clean water and tanks, so not to get bacterial infections and virus, which can be nasty if they are drinking foul water or crickets are left in their tanks to eat poop and then eaten. But that goes for any lizard in my opinion.

Becuase they love to run , jump and check things out, the smallest tank for an adult collared or 1 pair is a 20 long, BIGGER better. I have many 40 gallon critter cages and find them really nice for a breedign group and cool rocks and stuff.

ANy questions give me an email be glad to talk collareds!~

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Thank you Eve for the corrections. Yes I do believe it was Big Kong we were talking about. It is nice to hear tho that they calm down rather well. They are extremely pretty... what is their diet like again plz???

Visit our friends