Crested Gecko

myroliki

I plan on getting a juvenile flame harlequin crested gecko just after the first of the year and I want to be prepared, so I've been doing lots of research. Anyways, my question is, for a juvenile, what is the best substrate to use? I've heard either coco coir or paper towels, but I don't know why.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

scooter678

My personal use with coco husk is not good because it gets very damp and soggy and may get moldy so i would go with either paper towels or moss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypancistrus

Mason Dixon Reptiles
For babies up to about 15-20 grams, and egg laying females, I use paper towel. I switch to coco-fiber once they are larger than 20 grams. I find that babies are terrible "shots" when lunging at crickets, and tend to get a mouth full of coco, which I feel can be dangerous to small baby geckos. Once the gecko gets older, you can try doing a bioactive vivarium for it, which is fun, and reduces clean up.

yoshi'smom

OUROBOROS EXOTICS
I too would recommend paper towels for babies, juvies and laying females. Impaction is a risk with younger geckos. It may not look to great but will be better for the health of you gecko in the long run.

Visit our friends