Debating selling my normal guy

FelanMoira

he's unproven, unknown hets. If you see signs of something showing a possible het let me know.

He was purchased as a pet but I am now breeding and know where I want to go with that and he isn't included.

But I feel like I'm not doing him good buy wanting to sell him because he was a pet and I feel like I am abandoning him partly if I sell him.

He's 4 years old this year, so if sold, he'd basically only be sold as a pet or a 1-2 year breeder for someone anyway. He is missing a few claws because of bad sheds and his lipline has some issues for the same reason.

I'm just kinda looking for people on here that started out with pets and turned into breeders and had pets that didn't work as breeders and found themselves with room and time limitations that felt they were doing the pets an injustice.

I feel even more badly, since I used the other "pet" and proved him het bell, so I have a use for him in my bell projects.

Last edited:

FelanMoira

Pics of Smegal - gecko in question (DUW)

DUW
DSCN0455-vi.jpg

DSCN0444-vi.jpg

DSCN0442-vi.jpg

smegal7-vi.jpg

smegalface-vi.jpg

Lena

I question all things.
I bought my first leo for the purpose of breeding, so I don't have this problem. In fact, I'm actually seeking a normal or two just to have as a pet because I love the natural pattern/color so much.

I'm sorry I can't relate more.. But if you really feel he's better off elsewhere, then you are doing no injustice to him, I think.

He's a lovely boy, by the way. :)

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
We are breeding too and will have at least one gecko that will never be bred. I think a lot of breeders have at least a few that are restricted to being pets only. There is really nothing wrong with that ;) He looks like he has Mack Snow eyes, or do normals have eyes like that too? Either way, he is very handsome :D

AntMan612

Keep him. You obviously have some attachment to him. It seems like most breeders get into it because of how they loved geckos as pets in the first place. It's kind of sad if they transition away from that to strictly a business relationship (which I believe is uncommon).

Just my thoughts for what they're worth! :) He's a very good looking "normie," anyway, by the way.

SleepyDee

fallen_angel said:
I think a lot of breeders have at least a few that are restricted to being pets only. There is really nothing wrong with that ;)
:main_yes: I have quite a few non-breeders that are 'pets only' .... just have to keep adding a new viv/rack on occasion :D :D

D

dim&shell

Ahhh he's really cute :) If you can I would keep him, no harm in keeping him as pet :) 4 years is a long time to have one that you now are thinking about getting rid of, and obviously you have an attachment to him so if I were you I would keep him if possible :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I debate selling my non-breeders and retired breeders too. I also have a normal guy that I got because he was the last reptile in a pet store that was going out of the reptile business and he wasn't being housed well. I don't think I'd actually ever part with Phoenix because he has such an interesting "person"ality. I have 2 other retired breeder females that I debate selling every now and then, but for the moment have decided to actually house them with PHoenix who loikes to mate but has not and will not have any success with these females. He does better with gecko company and can be with them as long as he behaves and doesn't stress them out too much. I don't know what I'm going to do as I get more retired breeders because I have limited space.

Aliza

L

LadyGecko

FelanMoira said:
I don't know that I'd actually be able to sell him anyway - cause I am attached.

Just might need a bigger rack ;)

Yup-that wil work
:main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends