DIY natural looking desert terrarium

RakesRepts

I adopted a leo a few months ago. She was missing one of her back legs, but seemed to ambulate very well regardless. She still has some growing to do (she's currently 32g). I wanted to give her a natural looking terrarium that would also be of display quality. This is how I went about it:

I started with a 2nd hand 20gal long terrarium. I used GE Silicone caulk (tan color - actually called "cedarwood") to cover to background and part of the sides and front of the terrarium.
Cauk.jpg

11background.jpg

Then I used Great Stuff expanding foam to cover the floor of the terrarium, leaving space for a litter corner, limestone tile where the hot hide will be, and a round hole for the water dish to nestle into.
WEAR GLOVES WHEN USING GREAT STUFF FOAM!
greatstuff.jpg

bottomgs.jpg

I wanted to include plants in the background, so I balled-up a few paper towels, and placed them along the background where I wanted the plants to be.
backgroundbeforeGS.jpg

I sprayed the foam onto the background and the paper towels, leaving an opening on the top of the paper towels. I waited for it to cure (overnight), then pulled out the paper towels.
plantholes.jpg

Then I used a paint brush to apply the tan caulk all over the background and the floor of the terrarium.
paintingcauk.jpg

I immediately sprinkled crushed walnut shells onto the caulk (you can find these in any large pet supply store).
walnutshells.jpg

continued...

RakesRepts

DIY natural looking desert terrarium II

I planted the terrarium, and inserted dry grass in certain spots. I'm using full spectrum lighting (mostly for the plants).
finished3.jpg

finished.jpg

finished2.jpg

HenandchickCrassulaceae.jpg

The crushed walnut shell is stuck to the ground and background with the caulk to minimize the risk of ingestion. Your feedback is appreciated!

shiftygecko

Thank you!!! I hope you dont mind but i am going to use your caulking and walnut shells idea... I just had a beautiful wood tank(10 gal approximately) given to me... I have already started work on it... and couldnt think of a way to make my background look natural. It will look amazing with the wood tank...

RakesRepts

Thank you!!! I hope you dont mind but i am going to use your caulking and walnut shells idea... I just had a beautiful wood tank(10 gal approximately) given to me... I have already started work on it... and couldnt think of a way to make my background look natural. It will look amazing with the wood tank...

I don't mind at all! Best of luck with it, and please post pictures of the result.

theCREECH

I was thinking about doing something similar, except then I started to wonder... How would I clean it??? Was wondering if you solved that problem. Or how you planned on doing it.

Looks really awesome, but at the end of the month when there's a mess of stuff in the cage, how would you sanitize?

RakesRepts

I was thinking about doing something similar, except then I started to wonder... How would I clean it??? Was wondering if you solved that problem. Or how you planned on doing it.

Looks really awesome, but at the end of the month when there's a mess of stuff in the cage, how would you sanitize?

I'm lucky that my gecko truly does have a "poop corner" and only uses that space for mess. I've started laying a small square of papertowel down in that corner and she's using it so far - easy to replace the papertowel. I'm thinking of using a little more loose crushed walnut shell in that corner so that I can sift the poop out like a litter box, but I'm a little worried about her ingesting some of the walnut shell.

I'm pretty sure a spray bottle with 1 part bleach and 9 parts water will work nicely to disinfect the terrarium once every few months... give it time to dry and air out and put her back in.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited:

RakesRepts

I have discovered a need to vacuum the terrarium occasionally to suck out any loose substrate (walnut shell) that she's knocked loose from the caulk by crawling/climbing around. Otherwise, very maintenance friendly.

Jestre

That setup is bad to the bone! I wish I had the patience to create something like that.

EnigmaEcho

Neo Starpphire Enigma
wow- i love how the terain seems handicap friendly too! many bumps and hand holds :) it takes a good heart to take care of something that is different, and im just so impressed with how you are spareing no expense ( of course, ill take a guess you had alot of fun makeing it, yes? lol artist right?) btw genius idea with the papertowel thing- never would have thought of that!

RadReptiles831

formerly rendogg
Nice tank bro! You got some handy skills. I love my little handy cap leo too. Some people would have told.me just to put her down but I saw no need for that and now she's one of my favorite geckos. Ill be making a realistic setup soon too. Thanks for the inspiration.

RakesRepts

wow- i love how the terain seems handicap friendly too! many bumps and hand holds :) it takes a good heart to take care of something that is different, and im just so impressed with how you are spareing no expense ( of course, ill take a guess you had alot of fun makeing it, yes? lol artist right?) btw genius idea with the papertowel thing- never would have thought of that!

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! I had a great time making this terrarium, but I wouldn't say I spared no expense. It was actually pretty inexpensive. Not counting the aquarium itself, I'd say the decor only ran about $40 or $50. I wouldn't do this for all my geckos, but I think she deserved something special. Sort of an Extreme Makeover, Gecko Edition. :main_thumbsup:

EnigmaEcho

Neo Starpphire Enigma
lol ok, expense turned into effort then? i know right now with my tererium its takeing a great deal of effort :)

Visit our friends