Do leos NEED a humid hide?

Blacksupra94

Honestly I have not used a humid hide in about 6 months with my leo and she has not had one problem shedding even in the winter months. Last year when I did have the humid hide I had to take her to the vet a couple of times for shed in the eye, there were few rough spots back in that set up. I do spray her down with reptile shedding aid once ever few days and if I see her about to shed. Her cage has many rough surface areas which I suppose help her get the shed off easily. Does anybody else not have a " humid hide" or am I just getting lucky.

Reborn

IMO yes they do. That way they can choose to go in it or get away from it. Remember leos come from dry areas. Ive never had issues with any of my geckos and shedding. Thats just me.

fl_orchidslave

There's a lot of commercial products in pet shops that say they do lots of things. Some are okay, some aren't worth a flip. I would rather follow the advice of tried and true methods used by professional animal breeders with decades of experience standing behind them. My leopard geckos all have humid hides.

roger

Honestly I have not used a humid hide in about 6 months with my leo and she has not had one problem shedding even in the winter months. Last year when I did have the humid hide I had to take her to the vet a couple of times for shed in the eye, there were few rough spots back in that set up. I do spray her down with reptile shedding aid once ever few days and if I see her about to shed. Her cage has many rough surface areas which I suppose help her get the shed off easily. Does anybody else not have a " humid hide" or am I just getting lucky.

leos dont use the humid hide just to shed.they need the dampness also to get awat from the warm end

Jordan

some of my gecko's dont have one, but most of them do.
The ones that dont have them are ones that shed apsolutely fine with no trouble at all, they get some occasional misting.

STUTFL

The question isn't perhaps so much of need - obviously, there are no humid hides as such in the wild, and geckos live on. But in exchange for them being the entertaining little captives they are, we try to give them everything they desire, within our power and within reason. I know many leos, mine included, utilize the humid hide between sheds, maybe because in the desert a nice damp/cool place where you can't drown is prime real estate. If the leo "likes" it and it's simple and beneficial to boot, I say why not. If it actively avoids the humid hide and seems to prefer being sprayed with water/stuff (they do seem to relish licking water drops off of things, though I have no clue what's in shed-aid/whether they should be drinking it), and sheds fine, then go for it.

Theinfidel

Well it's really humid down here so i don't use a humid hide for my gecko's, i just spray the enclosure every now and then during the week.

Taquiq

JK Herp
I use a human hide from time to time. I don't have it in the cage every day but probably a couple times a week. You don't NEED a humid hide for the cool side roger, it can be a regular hide.

ajveachster

It's really more of a personal preference and something to be handled on a case by case basis. If you are like us, we just mist a regular hide when we see somebody in shed. Often times they are able to shed just fine without any additional humidity, and we don't even see it until after the fact when we find a little piece of old skin somewhere in the tub. There are some animals though that need one because they have difficulties. If your animal has no trouble, and you always provide a water source for drinking, then you don't need to have a humid hide.

Visit our friends