Do reptiles have bonds with thier owners?

Baoh

#1, that was not the site I cut and pasted from... It seems more like a generic definition rather than "someone elses work"...

#2, Below is your cut and paste without citation...

"Test sessions that examined control by olfactory cues revealed that they did not affect performance."

Is this the direction this thread should take or can we keep it on topic without your opinion on how things should be cut and pasted...

What site did you cut and paste from, then? That word stream only came up in one site for my google preferences, and that in turn came from a text, but since you did not disagree that it came from a site, which site did it come from? The words match exactly.

You are conveniently forgetting the reference I gave in post #36 of this thread which you responded to, which prompted the quotation with quotation marks to indicate it was a quotation from the reference I posted in post #36.

Which anyone can plainly see, as I didn't want to be taken on my own say-so without legitimate evidence of such work being performed.

Hey, you can steal other folks' words and present them as if they were your own all you might like. Not my board. That doesn't change the intellectual dishonesty of the matter, as any institution or scientific place of work would not exhibit tolerance over such behavior, and with good reason.

Last edited:
M

mystikal222

Alright, lets put the intellectual swords away kids.:main_laugh:

Gregg M

Registered Member
A simple search on Wikipedia on the triune brain will yeild the answer to your question where I cut an pasted from... I would call that a generic definition and public domain...
Take that to your google preference...
I think an opology is in order...

Also, this is not an institution or scientific place of work... It is a public internet forum... I never claimed the words to be my own either... I really do not see your point... Everyone here knows I am not a neurologist or brain surgeon so it would be quite obvious that I do research and cut and paste relevant information like everyone else... Next time I will take the words of others and switch them around so it sounds more like I wrote it myself... Would taking someones work and doing that to it make it better for you???

Sorry that this rediculousness is taking away from the topic... As you can see, I tried to keep it on track but some people feel the need to egg me on by calling me out on something I should not be called out on...

Last edited:

Haligren

is behind you.
Everyone here knows I am not a neurologist or brain surgeon so it would be quite obvious that I do research and cut and paste relevant information like everyone else.

You're NOT? D:

j/k

Sorry that this rediculousness is taking away from the topic... As you can see, I tried to keep it on track but some people feel the need to egg me on by calling me out on something I should not be called out on..

I think it's just because you're views are so....hard factual. You know what I mean? Everyone one here has a special attachment to their leos so people just want it to be a bit more than what it may be. I for one am included in this, I guess, but I also am aware of the limits of reptiles. I can only hope that Tiamat may get more out of our relationship than me being a source of food. Even if she doesn't, it's still fun to pretend sometimes, I guess. :>

Last edited:

Gregg M

Registered Member
Everyone one here has a special attachment to their leos so people just want it to be a bit more than what it may be. I for one am included in this, I guess, but I also am aware of the limits of reptiles. I can only hope that Tiamat may get more out of our relationship than me being a source of food. Even if she doesn't, it's still fun to pretend sometimes, I guess. :>

Dont get me wrong, I too am attached to every one of my reptiles in some way and love them all, I just know the feeling is not mutual...

I guess working with reptiles that can kill me if I slip up makes me see the reality of keeping reptiles a bit more clear...

This is the land of wild instinctive reptiles, not unicorns and fairies...:main_laugh::main_thumbsup:

F

Foreverandever

Well I dont know what the heck everyone is arguing about. I just asked Presley if he's emotionally attached to me and he told me that he was. He also informed me that all leos love their humans but they just pretend not to so they aren't bothered all the time...(leos like their privacy)

So...case closed :main_yes:

Alusdra

He also informed me that all leos love their humans but they just pretend not to so they aren't bothered all the time...(leos like their privacy)

lol!

And that video makes me want a larger reptile like e tegu, too. Damnable space constraints...

I think a big problem here is our wording. What is a bond? What is love? No one has pinned this down. You can get philosophers going for hours on that sort of thing. But if you define affection as wanting to be near someone for non-selfish reasons, then leos are capable of it. Certainly less than dogs, or even iguanas. It takes a lot of time and effort to train a leo to come when called, and it takes a special gecko to actually enjoy petting. Maybe 1 in 10,000 or something. But they are definitely capable of it. Some people may never believe me, but I'll swear to any gods you want that I had a trained, attention seeking leo as a kid. It's not a black and white thing, it's a sliding scale.

Even though my current geckos are more tolerant than affectionate, *I* still have a bond with them, even if not the other way around. And in the end that's all that really matters, no? At the very least, this thread has inspired me to pay more attention to my guys. Who knows, maybe I can get one trained to come when called. (It's easier to train fish, though, so my hopes aren't too high.)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Having a reptile respond to you is different than having a 'bond' with you, IMHO. As much as I would like to dream, I really do not think any of my reptiles have formed a bond with me... at least on the scale that my dogs do. Since they do not feel emotions like love or hate... only fear or the lack of, I reallly do not believe they feel any kind of 'bond' with us. I believe they learn trust and certain levels of comfort with us, they would not feel a loss like our emotional attachment to them when they get sold or go to a new home. I do not believe reptiles have complex emotional reactions other than basic survival and comfort responses.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Having a reptile respond to you is different than having a 'bond' with you, IMHO. As much as I would like to dream, I really do not think any of my reptiles have formed a bond with me... at least on the scale that my dogs do. Since they do not feel emotions like love or hate... only fear or the lack of, I reallly do not believe they feel any kind of 'bond' with us. I believe they learn trust and certain levels of comfort with us, they would not feel a loss like our emotional attachment to them when they get sold or go to a new home. I do not believe reptiles have complex emotional reactions other than basic survival and comfort responses.

I can dig that Marcia... Good post...

Baoh

Agreed. Can you guys take your heated debate to PM's unless it directly pertains to the original poster's question? Thanks...

No problem, Marcia. I am not going to pursue what is blatantly obvious to me any further, as I think it would waste everyone's time by continuing a debate regarding an ethical breach, and I need it as much as the mods want it.

Halley

Gregg M said:
LOL... Not 100% but almost... I just don’t want you to slap me in Daytona... LOL

Nigel4less said:
Lol she usually does that to me in Anaheim :main_laugh:

:main_laugh: you really are a MOGL, especially after the nickname you gave Nigel where the “B” doesn’t stand for “Boy” :main_laugh:

N

Nigel4less

:main_laugh: you really are a MOGL, especially after the nickname you gave Nigel where the “B” doesn’t stand for “Boy” :main_laugh:

Hush Up Nick.... :main_yes: LOL

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Well I dont know what the heck everyone is arguing about. I just asked Presley if he's emotionally attached to me and he told me that he was. He also informed me that all leos love their humans but they just pretend not to so they aren't bothered all the time...(leos like their privacy)

So...case closed :main_yes:

Geez, no wonder why my geckos won't call me mama, they are just pretending they can't speak!! So they don't need to chat with me!! LOL

Gregg M

Registered Member
No problem, Marcia. I am not going to pursue what is blatantly obvious to me any further, as I think it would waste everyone's time by continuing a debate regarding an ethical breach, and I need it as much as the mods want it.
:main_rolleyes:
Ethical breach... LOL
I would give you a crazy ear full if I wanted a warning... Besides, you dont need me to make you look like a tool... LOL

Last edited:

Visit our friends