Does anyone think I'm crazy? Would this work? Thanks!

GeckoJake

GeckoJake
Hi. I was wondering if anyone liked this idea. Picture a giant outdoor enclosure that measures 15 foot long by 15 foot wide by 7 foot tall cage. Now picture a ground filled of rocky and hard packed soil and rocks. Now picture every side of it having a small window. The inside would also have on every side of to the windows a rock backround except on the windows and the door to get in. And yes there would be a door. But there would be ledges on the backround and sticks and logs to get onto all of the ledges. Then picture lots of heat and light and a giant day light and a giant moon light for day and night. Now picture some heating elements underneath the enclosure on one half of the tank. Picture a large 2 foot long by 4 foot wide pond in the center that is 4 inches deep but that has many rocks and sticks to keep the animals from drowning in it so that they can get out if they fall in but that would be used for drinking. Now picture every two days me sticking 600 crickets in the enclosure for feeding. Also, picture multiple logs and wood and rocks throughout the enclosure ground as well to. Also, picture many and I mean many rocky caves with opening tops in the enclosure. Also, picture a large tarp for the enclosure and extra heating elements for during the winter and the tarp all the time not just winter. It would actually occasionally rain with a complex rain system in the desert terrarium ever long period of time. Picture a filter in the pond as well but a complex one and decorative one that makes a beautiful waterfall in the enclosure. Now picture this being a beautiful habitat that would house about 10 leopard geckos to start and they would breed and thrive and when I needed to sell them because there were too many I could and I could make money that way. But picture one area with one large cave that is filled with a soil substrate so that eggs could be laid and when the eggs were laid I would take them out of the enclosure and put them in a smaller place to hatch and then move them to the big enclosure to live and thrive. Has anyone ever had this idea? Who thinks it would work? There would be a UVA and UVB and heat bulb that is huge on the top of the terrarium with a series of small lights around it but also a moonlight that is huge on top as well. Also picture some live desert plants like cactuses throughout the terrarium. Tell me if this would work or if you think I'm crazy. Does anyone think it would cost over 2000 dollars to get started? Please help! I could use some help after thinking of this! Haha. Leopard geckos would be the reptile in this large enclosure. Thanks guys and gals!

.leopardgeckos.

I don't think it's a good idea, at all. Too many cons and dangers; the cactus(s), the pond, the large amount of crickets, multiple geckos, etc. I don't think this is, well, possible.

nater

Your water feature will soon become dead cricket tea.

The rest of it sounds like a lot of trouble for no particular reason. Get a 20 gallon like everyone else.

NinjaDuo

Your water feature will soon become dead cricket tea.

The rest of it sounds like a lot of trouble for no particular reason. Get a 20 gallon like everyone else.

A bit harsh,
Although the upkeep would be far exceeding what you or anyone could really handle. Even zoos use 20-100 gallon tanks for small reptiles. So it's a cool idea, but it'd never work.

Jordycakes

Jordy&Kirsty
Tbh it sounds pretty cool but for leo's like everyone else says not worth it BUT get a big ass thing like a monitor and it could probs live in there or something! :)

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
You would NEVER see any of your geckos EVER again.

The worst part is that you have a cold winter where you live.
If you lived in a warmer place, then yes, maybe a monitor would enjoy something similar.
Its a cool idea to think about, but it would cost you thousands of dollars, and wouldnt work for Leos.

Visit our friends