Dont want to raise Gecko's - any options?

acharpenter

I have done a bit of research and cannot find a definitive answer....

I am adopting a male and 2 females - they have been laying eggs and the current owner has not been successful with the eggs to this point (not sure what that means).

I am not ready to harvest eggs - what are my options for if/when they lay them?

Would local breeders be interested in the eggs?

Or is there some other option?

fl_orchidslave

You don't have to incubate them. They can be frozen then thrown away without any danger of babies hatching. It's possible you may be able to find someone local that would take them as well. If there's a 4-H club at your area high school, someone may be interested in a different project. Or try a herp society for a gecko breeder. Maybe someone here on the forum, you can post in the adoption section for that.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
An additional, long term solution is to separate the male from the females so they don't continue to produce after the stored sperm runs out.

Aliza

acharpenter

I thought about seperating them but that would entail a 3rd tank and frankly - 2 is already enough

I may try to rehome the male but for now, really would like to keep them together as they get along and the gal I am adopting them from would also really like to keep them together.

Who knows, at the rate I am going, I could easily see throwing up another Gecko tank...ugh - ya'll were not kidding - these cute lil buggers are totally addicting!

Freezing or throwing in the trash sounds inhumane?? Are they truly just "yolks" at that early stage of development???

Adirondackgeckos

No different then a chicken egg, just yolk. The reason some people freeze first is because the chance of an egg going to the dump or compost and hatching will be 0%.

roger

No different then a chicken egg, just yolk. The reason some people freeze first is because the chance of an egg going to the dump or compost and hatching will be 0%.

There is no need to freeze first.Contrary to popular belief eggs will not survive under a heap of trash in some dump site. IMO

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
If the previous owner has had no luck hatching the eggs then maybe the male is infertile. IMO freezing is only Important when you live in the same environment. Besides when they roll it disrupts the yolk, killing the hatchling on the way through the trash.

acharpenter

Fertile or not - both females are tiny (male is about 8" - both girls are 4" tops) and I just think this is too much on them......

Well this sucks - the male is the most social - he wants to be held and loves to cuddle....

I have a friend who really wanted a Gecko - I have offered her the male and she is beyond happy.

It fixes the breeding issue but it sucks as he is the most social. Is what it is right all? Best for all worlds - I know he will be spoiled rotten by my friend but....this sucks

I am pretty sad...

fl_orchidslave

Sounds like he will be quite happy with your friend's attentions. You might come to an understanding that if she ever needs to find him another home, that you will gladly take him back.

Personally, I would still freeze the eggs. When they're thrown away and carted off to the trash pile at the dump, there is heat generated in those layers of garbage. Not saying an egg could survive and hatch, but in Florida, we have a lot of non-native animals and insects that have survived and established themselves. All doubt is removed by freezing the eggs.

acharpenter

She is definetly well aware that if it doesnt work out - he comes back to me.

I also found a friend who wants to raise the egg's so I was able to find a home for the 6 currently incubating and the next few inevitable clutches....score!!

Visit our friends