Ecipses Have Slightly Longer Incubations Times?

Neon Aurora

I'm just curious if this is just me, or if anyone else has noticed a pattern. I have 6 babies so far, 4 non-eclipses and 2 eclipses.

Here is how they hatched out:

Clutch #1: Normal on day 60, Eclipse day 61
Clutch #2: Normal on day 60, Eclipse of day 64
Clutch #3: Normal on day 60, normal on day 60.

I just think it's interesting the consistency of the normals hatching on day 60. For the first two clutches, the eclipses did not hatch on the same day. I was expecting the same for the third clutch, but out pops two normals on the same day.

Coincidence, or something to it?

sunfish

Hm. That's an interesting thing to think about, though we would definitely need a much larger sample size to make any conclusions. Last year all of my hatchlings (all het eclipse) hatched out on day 52-53 incubated at 82F.
Were they all incubated at the same, consistent temp?

Neon Aurora

I know it's a very small sample size, which is why I want to get other opinions. If others have the same experience, the sample size will be much larger. It's just this last one that hatched that got me thinking.

To be fair, last season I had an eclipse and het eclipse hatch at the same exact time. I'm just curious if anyone else noticed anything.

All of the non-eclipses I'm hatching are also het eclipse.

They were all incubated in the same incubator and the same eggbox, regulated by a Herpstat, so I'm pretty confident they were all incubated at 81 degrees with very little variation.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I've never seen a longer incubation time with my eclipse. However, I'm having a longer incubation time on all my eggs this season for some reason. Not just eclipse.

Neon Aurora

I see. My eggs are also taking quite a while.

I know you've hatched out many, many eclipses, Kristi, so if you never noticed it than I must be experiencing a fluke.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
It's something I should have noticed. It's possible I didn't, but I know almost all my eggs last year hatched at day 49-51 no matter what morph they are. This year they are hatching at day 54-57 for some reason. All of them, and not just one morph. Maybe someone who breeds a lot of non eclipse would no better since I probably hatch 75% visual eclipse (albino included). But I know I've had an eclipse and non eclipse hatch on the same day more than once.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My eggs are taking longer to hatch as well. I confess that my old eyes can't usually recognize eclipses when they first hatch. I have 16 hatchlings so far:
1 at 54 days
3 at 55 days
4 at 56 days (including 3 eclipses)
5 at 57 days (including 2 eclipses)
1 at 58 days
1 at 64 days
1 at 65 days
You can see the eclipses are right in the middle of the pack.

Aliza

Visit our friends