Eco Earth?

Rell18

Has anyone had any problems keeping their cresties on eco earth? I am getting a crestie in a couple of weeks and I want to keep in a more natural looking set up but I'm totally afraid of the risk of impaction, even though I won't be feeding live foods. I like the more natural looking setups better.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I use PT for my cresties and eco earth in the lay boxes but I do use straight eco earth in my garg cages and have no problems. I have heard of the ocassional impaction associated with loose substrate and cresteds but it was always associated with live prey. If you are only feeding CGD I doubt there will be any problems.

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Agree, the only cases of impaction I've heard of involved live prey in the enclosure. If you do feed live prey, just put the crestie and the live prey in a separate tub during feeding, then put back in their enclosure when done feeding. Eco earth is great for keeping the humidity within the proper range. I don't put my juvies on Eco earth until they are about 10+ grams.....easier to find poop at that size then for younger ones.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use eco earth with sphagnum moss on top. I do feed live prey in the cage twice weekly but nearly all the crickets are caught and eaten above ground level. I have had no problems for the past 5-6 years.

Aliza

Visit our friends