Egg laying

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
We don't have an egg laying section so it was breeding or incubation.
Question: isn't it impossible for a gecko to carry three eggs at once? Never seen this. And I don't mean three full size, she just laid two last night and judging by size she will lay number three today or tomorrow. It's not impaction, not poop, it's an egg. And the first two were 1.5 inches long with a diameter of .75 inches. The third egg is 1 inch long and .5 diameter which is almost full term. Any suggestions?

ajveachster

Please let us know when this third egg is laid. I'm curious to know if it is fully formed or not. Rarely, I have had girls lay two eggs, with a small underdeveloped egg shortly before or after. It was with the first clutch of the season when it did happen. I'm curious to see if this is the case with your animal or if it is really a fully formed egg when it is laid. I do know that a female will carry several eggs/ovules at different stages of development at the same time, which can be deceiving at times.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think there have been occasional reports of three-egg clutches, though I don't know if all 3 hatched. Humans can double ovulate so I wouldn't be surprised if geckos can on occasion. Or else you're seeing a very well developed follicle that's the beginning of the next clutch.

Aliza

Visit our friends