Elderly gecko sick?

meowrissa

So my guy is about 14 years old. I acquired him when he was approximately 5 and have had him since then. In the last week or so I have noticed he tail has gotten drastically thinner and wrinkly. He hasn't really been going to the bathroom and when he does, it is mostly liquid which is yellowy in color. He hasn't eaten in at least a week, although he is drinking and he just completed a shed yesterday. He has been active for the most part, possibly a little less than usual, but nothing I would've noticed if not for these other factors. His belly does appear a little bloated and bluish in color, with a big white spot in the middle. I have included a couple of pictures. I am concerned that he is impacted. I have been giving him soaks and massages for the last few days, but it doesn't appear to be helping any. He is on sand and has been his entire life. I have never had an issue with him eating it. I watch him hunt and his sand intake is very minimal, if any. His environment is very stable, with lights on a timer and I've always tried to provide him with "natural" and engaging surroundings. He's always been a very healthy, active dude, and I just need some advice as to whether or not I'm over reacting, if it's potentially something serious, or just old age. I appreciate any input. Thanks!!
Screenshot_2016-05-20-20-18-33 copy.jpg 20160520_174125.jpg 20160520_200835.jpg 20160520_200859.jpg

About your leo:
- Sex - MALE
- Age & Weight - 14 & ?
- How long have you owned your leo - APPROX 10 YEARS
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) - WORKED AT A PET STORE, OWNER SURRENDER

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo - FAIRLY REGULARLY FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. - SLIGHTLY LESS ACTIVE
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. - NONE
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) - MORE LIQUIDY AND YELLOW
- When was the last time he/she went - TODAY, BUT 90% LIQUID
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on- REFER ABOVE

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size - 40 BREEDER
- Type (ex. glass tank) - GLASS
- Type of substrate - SAND
- Hides, how many, what kind - 2, ONE MOIST
B) Heating
- Heat source - OVER HEAD UVA/UVB AND NIGHT, UTH
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) -
- Method of regulating heat source
- What are you using to measure your temps
- Do you have any lights (describe)
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) - NONE
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) - 36 CRICKETS A WEEK, WAX WORMS
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) IN TANK, ONCE A WEEK. HE LIKES TO HUNT. WAX WORMS ON A PLATE, AS A TREAT
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)
- What are you gut loading food with

Christywoowoo

That swollen belly with a thin tail is a big sign of impaction.
Even minimal ingestion of sand, even without eating on it, (licking to smell) can harm your gecko as it is incredibly difficult to digest and will stay in them for a very very long time.

It may be fine for a healthy high functioning adult to be on sand (i personally wouldn't house any gecko on sand) but with juveniles, or a gecko as old as yours, sand is a no go.
Your gecko is getting up in age and his functioning may be slowing down.

The first thing anyone on here will tell you is to get him off the sand, and to get him to a vet.

Try and continue the warm soaks as best you can, but don't stress him out too much.
Good luck ;-;

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

If he's pooping liquid, I sort of doubt he's impacted. With impaction I would expect so see almost nothing coming out. Sand is not a good substrate and of course I would recommend changing it, but it doesn't sound like he's impacted. It's still possible he is impacted though. Do you happen to see any sand in his poop?

Not eating, losing weight, and change in feces can be signs of parasites. If you get your feeders from petstores, sometimes they can carry parasites and he would be more susceptible to them in his old age.

Yellowish, liquidy poops can also unfortunately be a sign of liver failure, along with the swollen abdomen. 14 years isn't super old, but it's getting up there far enough to where I might worry about that sort of thing.

I think you would be best off taking him to a vet.

Visit our friends