Gojira_0429

I have a 2 year old female who has always been healthy. About a week ago I noticed she wasn’t opening her eyes. I started doing warms soaks and saline and when she opened them they are gone. I looked up that I could be vitamin A and so I got a supplement. I am currently feeding her reptiboost for nutrition to keep her weight up and using an eye treatment but no changes.
Now today she has a tiny sore on the puffy part of her eye, like maybe she scratched it?

the vet said they can hospitalize her but the cost for that plus anesthesia would be very high. Looking for any last advice or at home care options

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by "when she opened them [her eyes] they were gone". What was gone? When I have a gecko that doesn't open its eyes, I often dip my finger in water and then put a drop of water on the closed eye. Often they open the eye after that. A sore on the eye can happen if a piece of shed gets stuck under the eyelid or if the gecko scratches its eye on something. Sometimes just swabbing it with a q-tip in water helps take care of the problem. Sometimes the infection becomes systemic and the gecko needs antibiotics. Hopefully you have been supplementing your gecko all along with calcium, vitamin D3 and other vitamins and minerals including vitamin A. Repashy Calcium Plus is an all in one supplement that also has vitamin A in the form that reptiles can absorb. I'm a little surprised your vet recommended hospitalization (though of course I don't know the circumstances). Can you find out if a topical cream to put on the sore on the eye or an oral antibiotic might be reasonable treatment? Can you get your gecko to eat worms or crickets if you hold it and push the feeder into its mouth: In my opinion, that's better than the reptiboost, but if that doesn't work, go with the reptiboost.

Aliza

Visit our friends