Feeding Bin?

R

rmzsuzuki89

Would feeding crickets in a feeding bin be a good idea? As in putting my leo in a bin that has crickets in it and letting it go to town. I just figured that this would be easier than trying to fish crickets outa the hides in the viv.

Redleg

I do that for my leos......it took them a while to get use to it, but once they did..... they wasted no time in eating when ever I dropped dubias in the bin.

mindgamer8907

That works, but I find that if they're not "at home", some leos don't feel comfortable eating, some of them need their own scent or a complete absence of other geckos to feel comfortable hunting. If you just take all the hides and water dishes out when you feed crickets, that solves both problems, and despite the absence of the comfort their hides bring, they'll generally hunt to their hearts content. It takes care of both problems. Sometimes I'll leave a very small hide in there with them under it. They'll still feel more comfortable poking their head out to hunt as bugs pass or try to come in. Though I usually only try that last bit with the really picky eaters.
Of course not all leos will react to being in a new place with the same confusion, I've noticed that glass and plastic (reflective enclosures) that have either no scent or a foreign scent tend to be the most disruptive for this "feeding bin" method. In short, if it works for your leos, keep it up because it's a great idea. If it does not work, try my method, it seems to help.

We have done that before. MOst of them wont eat outside of their tanks but we have two beasts that will eat anywhere anytime and anything :D I think it depends on the gecko. Although I will agree its much easier!

R

rmzsuzuki89

Just finished feeding, it ate really good in the bin. I just put the hide that it was in in the bin and it used the hide as a place to ambush from. It was really fun to watch lol.

Visit our friends