Feelings on a 20 gal?

ThirdEarth

Hi everyone!

New to these forums, new to ever keeping a gecko. I just went to +++++ last night and picked up supplies (haven't gotten the little guy or gal to go into it yet, just wanting to do the setup properly in advance).

I did go ahead and commit to a 20 gallon (it's 30 x 12 x 12) which I know some people might think is too big (I don't plan on housing multiple geckos - only one), but I just couldn't get myself to get a 10 - it just seemed too small for me personally.

I know that sometimes people feel that larger tanks are overwhelming to a gecko, especially juveniles when it comes to finding their heat source and whatnot. What are everyone's thoughts on the size enclosure I bought?

Seeing as I have also bought all the hides that go in there, I think that with the 3 hides (bought a multi level hide for the cool side, a standard hide for the hot, and made a tupperware hide for a humid hide), plus all the tank decorations (have a small piece of driftwood and 2 fake plants), it takes up the proper amount of room - I don't see how I could fit all of that at all in a 10 gallon.

I still plan on housing my gecko in the 20 gallon, but as I have not gotten him/her yet, I wonder how many of you think it will be just fine for a juvenile (I doubt I will get an adult gecko right off the bat). Should I get a smaller tub as a temporary enclosure if 20 gallons ends up being too overwhelming? (I'd rather not, but I'm willing to if enough of you experienced keepers really think it's way too big for a baby/juvenile). Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. I think it will be fine. If the gecko seems overwhelmed after it's had time to settle in, you always have the option of putting a partition (I make mine from plexiglass) to make the tank temporarily smaller.

Aliza

ThirdEarth

Thanks Aliza!

The partition is a great idea! I will do that if I see that the gecko has trouble adjusting. Very excited about getting it!

Visit our friends