Fellow lizard lover here

ScottS

Hi everyone,

I have had lizards for a long time. Just love these guys. Right now my 16 year old Leo needs help. We were hit with an ice storm last week and lost power for four days. Our house got into the upper 30s. I think he’s in the brumation stage now. Trying to get him out. Not rushing or forcing anything. I’m just warming up his enclosure. We’ve gone through a shed already. He likes to sit in his water bowl. But his eyes are half closed often. He has always been so active and full of life. Just don’t know what to do? Any thoughts? I dropped a cricket in front of him and it was as if he never saw it. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

ScottS

For future reference, when you have no heat, there's a product called Hot Hands:

Hi Yvonne - I was unaware of such a thing existed. Thanks for sharing. I hope you and your lizard buddies have a great day. Oh, and Greg the Gecko says 'thanks.' He's still lethargic and not doing well. But he's hanging in there.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think there's much you can do besides keeping him warm and offering him food every day until he eats. You may want to drop some water on his nose and see if he licks it off. Some of my leopard geckos don't eat for the whole winter and they do fine.

Aliza

ScottS

Hello all,

Thanks for the responses and recommendations. Unfortunately, "Greg the Gecko" passed last night. He showed signs of promise and then he just shut down. He was an amazing soul. Full of life and always happy to see me. I was the adoptive dad of this little guy 16 years ago. I was a bird of prey handler at Portland Audubon. It just so happened the day I was in cleaning the mews and handling the birds, someone entered the care center with a tiny gecko that was caught in a neighbor's garden. They weren't sure if Portland Audubon could help. Luckily, I was ear shot away and jumped right into the conversation. "I'm a herp nerd. I can take him." With that, I brought home that tiny gecko 16 years ago. If we didn't have a power outage, there's no telling how old "Greg the Gecko" would go. Rest your soul sweet one. You will be missed. I am in a state of mourning now, but would love to have a gecko back in my life. If anyone in the Portland, Oregon area knows of a gecko that needs a good home - please let me know. Thank you Gecko Forum. We'll be talking.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry for your loss. 16 is pretty reasonable for a leopard gecko. My oldest one died last May at 19, but that's unusual.

Aliza

Visit our friends