Female holding onto eggs.

celestialram

Some background info: This female is 3 years old but this is her first season as far as I know. She was 55 grams at the start of breeding and has hardly lost any weight. She's had a moist lay box for the entire duration of breeding.

She began ovulating late february, and I expected her to lay mid march as the eggs looked full term. However, a month later she's yet to lay. She's still sporadically eating, and isn't lethargic but I'm concerned as the eggs have been in position to be laid.

Has anyone else had a female hold onto fully developed eggs for a month+? All of my other girls lay within a week of their eggs being fully developed.

celestialram

My concerns are a little different, which is why I posted a thread. That thread isn't about a female with fully developed eggs. This female finished ovulating a month ago and has been carrying full term eggs since then.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've had leos look like they're ready to lay for weeks and weeks before anything happened. It's always possible these aren't eggs but are fat deposits (I've mistaken that as well). It's a good sign that the gecko isn't lethargic and is still eating. Really, the only thing to do if you're very concerned is to make an appointment with a reptile vet, but you may want to just keep an eye on her as long as she's acting normally.

Aliza

celestialram

Thank you Aliza that settles my nerves. There definitely eggs, they have the distinct veining around them and are firm in her tummy. I've just never had a female hold her eggs at this stage in development for longer than 5 days. I'm glad to hear that sometimes they just decide to not lay for a few weeks.

I'll bring her to a vet if her behavior changes, of course. I just didn't want to freak out over nothing if anyone else experienced this and had everything turn out fine.

pipespets

My female is the same age and this is her first time breeding aswell. She is very gravid.... infact its been a little more than 6 weeks. The reason i haven't taken her to a vet is because she is still acting very healthy, eating, and defecating. Whats your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

celestialram

I thought I'd update that my female finally laid her eggs. They ended up being absolutely massive and she laid the eggs a week apart from each other, poor girl. She seems to still be doing fine and will hopefully lay a healthy clutch next time.

Pipespets - I'm guessing your best route would be doing what I did and wait it out as long as the female is acting normally. Hopefully she lays her eggs like my girl did!

Visit our friends