Female still digging? Looking for her eggs?

Christywoowoo

I have a female that laid her eggs this morning and I took them to the incubator a little while ago. Now she's still digging and pretending to bury something.

She's scratching the top of the lay box, going inside, poking around with her nose, and then coming back out. It's really sad to watch because it almost looks like she's looking for them.

Is this normal behavior? Is this just lingering instinct to bury them even though they aren't there?

Last edited:

Sunglow King

Yes this is normal. My female has done this many times. I usually take the lay box out, clean it, and put new ecoearth in it. My female usually doesn't dig again afterwards. I do this because I personally feel it slightly stresses the female out, because she can't find her eggs. That's my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanJaster

My females always defend their eggs, or at last place where they laid eggs, for few hours, without any aggresive behavior. But they never did any digging for their eggs, contrariwise they pretended the eggs are still there and moved all the substrate to place where eggs were. But as I said, it lasted only a few hours and then none of my females cared anymore about any of eggs.

Visit our friends