fimbriatus and henkeli night time photo shoot

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
So I haven't posted any pics of these guys in a while so I figured I'd take some night shots while they were more active. It's crazy how different these guys are from day to night. During the day you'd think they were statues but at night they're all over the place, really cool to watch. They've gotten pretty used to me by now too, so I don't worry about stressing them with a little manipulation for pics.

Cloud, my henkeli male

henkeli7.jpg

henkeli6.jpg

henkeli5.jpg

henkeli3.jpg

henkeli2.jpg

henkel4.jpg

Banshee and Turook, my fimbriatus pair

fimb11.jpg

fimb10.jpg

fimb9.jpg

fimb8.jpg

fimb6-1.jpg

fimb5-1.jpg

fimb2-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. :main_thumbsup:
-Ted
fimb11.jpg

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Lovely pictures, Ted. It really would be fine with me if I woke up every morning to a new round of Uroplatus pictures, I just love them so much.

PS- I just turned the lights on my mossies, and the male fell right off the wall like it knocked him off. They are such funny critters.

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
They look awesome! I'm getting 1 or 2 for my hubby's birthday this March and these are 2 of the species that I am considering. Do you feel that either one is easier to keep than the other? We have a 2'x2'x4' enclosure that I am designing a custom background for. Would love to see what your enclosures look like for each of them. Thanks Andi

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
They look awesome! I'm getting 1 or 2 for my hubby's birthday this March and these are 2 of the species that I am considering. Do you feel that either one is easier to keep than the other? We have a 2'x2'x4' enclosure that I am designing a custom background for. Would love to see what your enclosures look like for each of them. Thanks Andi

Henkeli are by far the easiest species of Uroplatus to keep and breed. They are nearly bulletproof as long as you follow a few basic rules. Fimbriatus is a toss up, I've done very well with my pair(haven't gotten fertile eggs yet, but I feel it's just a matter of time) but many seem to have difficulties with them. With Uroplatus I'd start with either henkeli or pietschmanni, those are the two hardiest species. A 2X2X4 cage will work for a pair or trio of either fimbs or henks.

Here are their setups:

Henkeli setup 18inX18inX36 screen cage from DIY Cages. I use a 2.0 UVB bulb on a timer. Substrate is hydroton covered by a layer of a 50.50 peatmoss/cocofiber mix and topped with a light covering of leaf litter. I grow Pothos hydrponically in the cage and Snake plants are planted directly in the substrate. I provide a water dish, but he never uses it. I keep him in the 73-78F range and mist him twice a day heavily. I feed both species 3X a week on dubia and lateralis roaches. There are isopods and springtails and earthworms in the substrate to keep it bioactive.

urosetup2.jpg

Urosetup3.jpg

Urosetup4.jpg

the fimbriatus cage. 24inX24inX36in screen from Sandfire Dragon Ranch. Same substrate as the henk cage, with pothos and snake plants, 2.0 UVB, I added a water dish with an airstone to increase humidity and encourage drinking. I used larger branches and placed them vertically screwed directly to the top and bottom of the cage. I mist 2X a day and feed 3X a week large roaches. Same temps.

Urosetup5.jpg

Urosetup6.jpg

Urosetup1.jpg

Visit our friends