finally YAY........... BUT

Angel

my blizzard female finally laid her eggs today and they looked good they were fairly firm however i noticed when i wrote on them the number and initial the were kinda soft ontop and now that they are in the incubator the tops have dented a bit , is this normalÉ does it mean they are infertile or am I needing to add more water to the mix.
my temps are 81.5-82 for the last few weeks the incubator has been running was planning to incubate for females this round is this right and I expect a month or so at this temp correct me on anything i may be wrong on . Im using the sim container.
she is a experienced breeder this isnt her 1st time and its with the same male as last year .

Angel

sometime between yesterday and today , they are white I took a closer look at them just now they have a very faint red circle on them hard to see. I read another post similar problem and using the sim as well they said to add more water so i did and raised the level up to the fill line completetly. the dents are very minor. i dont have any papertowel of course when needed im out. I will run out in the morning if they dont look better to put a damp towel over them. does this sound like the right course to take so far.

Shera

sometime between yesterday and today , they are white I took a closer look at them just now they have a very faint red circle on them hard to see. I read another post similar problem and using the sim as well they said to add more water so i did and raised the level up to the fill line completetly. the dents are very minor. i dont have any papertowel of course when needed im out. I will run out in the morning if they dont look better to put a damp towel over them. does this sound like the right course to take so far.

I'm not certain about this, but couldn't you use a piece of folded tissue or toilet paper instead of paper towel?

Angel

yes i thought of that last night and got some wet toilett paper on them , there is now a bit of condensation in there but the eggs havent popped back up fully does this take time? or should they have been back to normal this morning?

Angel

here are some pictures , shows the condensation now there wasnt any yesterday. should i remove the papre towel now even if they havent plumped up?
DSC01211.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

Angel

well today there seems to be a fuzzy coating starting on them and a couple small yellow spots i picked them up and they are now soft so thinking its all too late. Im thinking i will try the deli cup for the next clutch and see if i have better luck next time :( if there is anything i can do would really appreciate the help. Been spending the last 2 days on google trying to figure out the right things to do water, humidity, when to remove paper towel i had it on for 3 days apparently was suppose to be removed after 12hours. SO dissapointed :(

Gregg M

Registered Member
Putting paper towels over eggs is not something that should be done no matter what... It actually suffocates the egg more times than not...

Aliza pointed out that the dented eggs plumped up just by getting the proper humidity in the container without putting a paper towel over the eggs...

Just curious, where is the heating element located in your incubator???

Angel

someone on here said to put damp paper towel over the eggs to plump them up :s

the heating elements are on the back and bottom.

should i just remove these eggs and toss them then.

Keith N

Those eggs look good and yes, never put a paper towel over an egg as it will not let it breath. I do not use a SIM because I use a Hova but I am thinking of getting one and try an egg in it until I can get the humidity issues adjusted as I hear there are some issue using a Hova.

Visit our friends