First Leopard Gecko

Sicairoslb

I'm picking up my first Leopard Gecko tomorrow and just had a couple of questions?

I bought reptile carpet but still am unsure about what is better? Is Calcium-Carbonate ( i believe that is what its called) sand that wont impact my geckos? I find that so many people hate reptile carpet, but then i find the opposite people hating sand! Im so confused!

Secondly i have the bowl ill put the meal worms in, as well as a water bowl, with two hiding spots (one on the heated and one on the cold side), i have 2 thermometers, and one hydrometer.

I am a little worried however that my heating pad isnt making a big difference in temperature. How long does it usually take to increase the temperature? I have had it on for 12 hours and it hasn't made much of a temperature difference.

If the heating pad doesn't end up generating enough heat can i put a red bulb in a lamp and just use both?

Lastly, the only thing i dont truly understand is the moist moss? or moist paper towels? Would i leave them in at all times? or just when i see him beginning to shed? Where do i pick this moss up at?

Any tips for new owners would be appreciated, i have done a lot of research so i know most of the basics, if there is anything else important let me know!

Thanks for reading!:main_laugh:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
1. flooring: If you're picking up a baby, don't use sand. If you decide to use sand, there is always a chance of impaction, though some people do use it successfully. Play sand is better than calci-sand. There are more than one way to do things and differences of opinion. Repti-carpet is fine, in general (and if this is your first gecko, I'd recommend it above sand at this point) though it's a pain to wash out after the gecko poops (try putting paper towel or a bathroom tile where it poops and then you'll save the repti-carpet from getting dirty) and they do occasionally get toenails or teeth caught in it. I use ceramic tile and am very happy with that

Under tank heater: You should be measuring the floor, not the air temperature. The UTH should get the floor temp at least into the 90's. If not, I suspect your UTH is defective (you can check with a watt-meter to see if it's putting out the wattage that it should be). You can use a light for extra heat but I recommend that you try to resolve the UTH problem first

Moist hide: some geckos go in there only to shed, some never go in there and some love it. Keep it in all the time, keep it moist and it provides another option in microclimates for your gecko to enjoy.

Aliza

Visit our friends