Fluctuations and eye issues

DoubleD1996

Hi,

I have a question concerning two of my leopard geckos.

One seems to have swelling behind his eye and some sort of issue on the side if his mouth, while my tremper albino seems to have some sort of swelling and mass in the eyes.

Not once in ten years have I ever had a health issue with them, but with the odd fluctuations in temperatures here in Tennessee, we have been constantly adjusting the thermostat for our comfort, not realizing how the ambient temperature would cause them to struggle with shed, even though their enclosures are heated.
We are just now starting to get normal weather.
I clean the enclosuresanytime they poop. And change water every other day.

I used to use ceramic heat emitters on their cages with adjustable fixtures, and never had an issue, then I switched to heat mats on thermostats. Should I go back to that?

I know I should be consulting a vet, but reptile keeping isn't that common in Memphis, TN so most vets aren't comfortable with dealing with them.

I have been using ofloxacin ophthalmic eye drops, and I think they helped a little, but of you can give me any advice I'd appreciate it.

Best,
Eddie

Attachments

• 20230601_093850.jpg
    20230601_093850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230601_094318.jpg
    20230601_094318.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230601_100019.jpg
    20230601_100019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If there is a mass, and especially if it's growing, it may be an infection. The only way I know to treat it is to administer antibiotics and/or to excise the mass. I don't know if you've tried calling a regular vet and if not, it may be worthwhile to see if they have any suggestions either for treatment or for who to contact. If you live in a big city that has a vet school, they may be willing to see the gecko.

Aliza

DoubleD1996

If there is a mass, and especially if it's growing, it may be an infection. The only way I know to treat it is to administer antibiotics and/or to excise the mass. I don't know if you've tried calling a regular vet and if not, it may be worthwhile to see if they have any suggestions either for treatment or for who to contact. If you live in a big city that has a vet school, they may be willing to see the gecko.

Aliza
Thanks. My vet doesn't see reptiles, but perhaps she can recommend someone out of state.

Visit our friends