FOOD FIGHT!!!

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
Ok, first off I can't believe how dead the Fat Tail section of this site is. I mean, are there only 6 of us who love fatties?? I don't get it. Hopefully it will catch on soon because these geckos are awesome!

I just wanted to see if anyone else has "food fights" as I call them. I keep most of my fat tails separately in a rack but I also keep a couple of breeding girls together in a couple of tubs in groups of 2 and 3. If it's not feeding time, they are stacked up on top of each other, cuddling. But once the food hits the tub...LOOK OUT! If I don't separate them before feeding, they will immediately go for each other and wrestle across the tank or simply bite down on whatever body part they can get to first! It's actually hilarious! But I'm afraid one is going to drop her tail soon. It's brutal! I have to literally pull them apart after squirting them with water!

As soon as they see the crickets hit the tub, instead of running towards the food, they actually seek each other out and basically say.."Let's get this on!....Your ass is mine!" LOL!!!

Does anyone else have this going on, and what do you do to separate them prior to feeding? I have to put one in the humid hide, and one in the other hide and feed them while they can't see each other. Crazy! :main_laugh:

LZRDGRL

Good post! I'd be interested in knowing if fat tails are more aggressive eaters than leos. I have a few female leos that compete for food. They're all juvies. But they're not as aggressive as you described. Feeding separately is probably the best option for each animal. I have two Labradors, and one is such an aggressive eater, she tries to bite the other one's ears off!! The vet considered amputation of an ear part already, but it grew back nicely, even with hair on it.

I read the fat tail section, but I don't post in it, because I don't have any, since they're SOOOO expensive! :p I'm sure in future years, the leo section membership will go down and the fat tail section membership will go up. For right now, you guys/gals have the monopoly! Enjoy it ;) We're lurking and reading your stories in the meantime. You could post more pics, though :D

Chrissy

Adinar

To be honest, I have all my fatties seperate. One is still in quarentine since we just bought her not too long ago, another has always been on the skinny side, another is a male... lol. I think we could probably put the quarentine in with our girl Yoshi but I'm a little weary of the size difference. It's about a 20 gram difference so I don't know if I want to risk it. So they all get fed seperatly anyway. LOL.

But yes, we do need more life down here!

cryptid_hunter

Oh yeah, we have "food fights" all the time in breeder cages and in the nursery racks, lol. Our breeder cages are set up with 1 stud male and 3-4 females (his harem), and when the crix hit the carpet IT IS ON!!!! If they are all clustered together when they start eating somebody always ends up taking a hit, sometimes accidental, sometimes seemingly on purpose. And in the nursery racks my wife and I like to keep clutchmates together if they get along well and stay the same size, so all our nursery cages ideally have 2 baby fatties each, they seem to like the company of their clutchmate and thrive in that setup. So sometimes they accidentally get ahold of each other when they hunt too close together.

But what we do to eliminate some of the risk, is prior to throwing in the crix, we will put each fatty in a separate corner (since the crix always migrate towards the corners) and then throw in the crix. That seems to help quite a bit and isn't near as stressful on us because we don't like risking losing tails, they just aren't nearly as pretty with regenerated tails.

And I'm like you guys, we need to get more traffic and more posts in this section. We have Leos too but our real passion is the FATTIES!!! :)

KeenenB

I keep my breeding quartet together, some eat when i separate them into bins but a couple only eat in the tank and unless i separate them while eating they go for each others faces even if they've already eaten the meal worm! I'd say they are way more aggressive then my leos when eating.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
I just got done feeding my groups.....it was warfare!! I even got a bite before I even started feeding! They mistook my finger for a giant superworm I guess. LOL!! I love these guys!

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
Ok, first off I can't believe how dead the Fat Tail section of this site is. I mean, are there only 6 of us who love fatties?? I don't get it. Hopefully it will catch on soon because these geckos are awesome!

actually the fatty section used to see a lot more action. but when they split it up into all the little sub forums there was not enough posts to keep all of them going.

i actually complained about that here.

i suggest you go comment on the thread.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has "food fights" as I call them. I keep most of my fat tails separately in a rack but I also keep a couple of breeding girls together in a couple of tubs in groups of 2 and 3. If it's not feeding time, they are stacked up on top of each other, cuddling. But once the food hits the tub...LOOK OUT! If I don't separate them before feeding, they will immediately go for each other and wrestle across the tank or simply bite down on whatever body part they can get to first! It's actually hilarious! But I'm afraid one is going to drop her tail soon. It's brutal! I have to literally pull them apart after squirting them with water!

As soon as they see the crickets hit the tub, instead of running towards the food, they actually seek each other out and basically say.."Let's get this on!....Your ass is mine!" LOL!!!

Does anyone else have this going on, and what do you do to separate them prior to feeding? I have to put one in the humid hide, and one in the other hide and feed them while they can't see each other. Crazy! :main_laugh:

i do get the food fights, but only with one of my groups. it is pretty funny, but it worries me, and so i have started feeding the geckos at opposite ends of the tank. if there mouths are full of roaches then they dont attack each other.

Visit our friends