Frustrated!

Pinky81

Ok so Im not sure what Im doing wrong. So far Twigg has only ate 2 crickets, one on thursday and one on friday. She refuses to eat mealies or small supers!! What am I doing wrong??? I give the wormys a pinch and drop them in front of her, she has them in a dish in her tub. NOTHING!! I have not offered anymore crickets as I really want her to take to mealies or supers..but Im worried about her not getting to eat.

Any tips? She is in a 6qt tub temp is 95-98degrees, small cap of water, small cap calcium, and small escape proof worm dish.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I find that some of them really don't need to eat much the first few weeks. I would keep offering and not worry unless she starts looking noticeably thinner (although I had a fat tail hatchling that didn't eat for quite awhile, started losing fat in the tail and suddenly just started up with a vengeance). If not much is happening after another week or so, you can hold it and gently poke a mealworm at it's mouth. I find the hatchlings are more likely to bite something than the older ones. The only problem with this is that you can end up with a hatchling that likes to be hand fed.

Aliza

Pinky81

Ok I gave in...she attacked two crickets! So I know she is hungry and willing....BOOOO

I think she inherited Mom and Dad's dislike for worms! Grrrr!!!!

She's such a funny little hatchling she's begging to come out of the tub right now. Standing in the bowl seems to be Twiggs only use for it! HELLO little one there are worms under your feet!!! :p

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I use very shallow dishes, and place it right at the opening of their humid hides. They can see into what's moving in the dish much better.

Pinky81

She gobbled two more Crickets tonight...LOL Im still gonna keep mealies in her tub but what can I say Im a softy.

Aliza I did try the mealie to the mouth thing also with the suggestion of spilling some guts to let the bebe taste...she licked it but would not have any of it! Stubborn!!! :p

Pinky81

I use very shallow dishes, and place it right at the opening of their humid hides. They can see into what's moving in the dish much better.

tried that too...either the mealies escaped or she still did bother with them...Im tellin ya Stubborn!

leoguy1

Proud to be a Texan
Geckos can be picky about what they eat. When I got my first leopard gecko, she'd ONLY eat mealworms.

Visit our friends