Future Gecko Grandma!

Anna61

Greetings!
I am a future Gecko Grandma. My 7-year-old grandson wants a Gecko which means of course I will be the main caregiver. I am still in the research phase. He wanted a Tarantula up until four days ago. I was just finishing up my research for that and we were ready to go visit one yesterday at a reptile store. We went to a pet store to look at Tarantulas the other day and he saw the Geckos for the first time. He changed his mind immediately. We don't have any other pets and he has had a fascination for spiders since he was very young (about 4 years old). His mother and I agreed that it was time for him to have a pet. This will be a wonderful opportunity for him. I never realized how much went into the care and preparation went into owning and purchasing a Gecko. I have had a ton of pets in the past. I was a Veterinary Technician for a few years and I ended up adopting and rescuing many animals throughout the years but never one of these little darlings. I am still making up my mind about the substrate and the heat source. I think I will be ready to achieve total Geckograndmadome by next week. I have many questions to ask. I am happy to be here.

Liams Geckograndma!

Anna

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's great! I don't know if you've identified a gecko species that would suit. The most common gecko first pets are leopard geckos. Try not to get a tiny juvenile because it won't want to be held. Feel free to bring your questions and we'll do the best we can to answer. If you're going to a big chain pet store, check their suggestions about housing and feeding here before you follow their instructions, or google "leopard gecko care" and see which instructions seem to be the most consistent.

Aliza

Anna61

Thank you! We have decided to get a Leopard gecko. As a matter of fact, some what of a miracle happened today. We were preparing to go to a reptile store this afternoon and while I was looking for the address on my phone so I could get directions when some information about a reptile rescue popped up and low and behold there was some information about a lady It turns out she rescues them) that was offering to sell a leopard gecko with a 40 gallon enclosure, heat lamps, hides, substrate, plants and everything else plus free vet care for $100! We are driving down tomorrow to see about it. The reptile rescue highly recommends her. I talked to her on the phone earlier and this is what she does. The rescue funds her. She told me that geckos are the number one reptiles to be given to rescues. I am so relieved! I was so worried that I would get the wrong supplies for our little forked-tongued friend.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's great news! I hope your grandson has many years of enjoyment with this gecko. We've heard from people on this forum, I believe, who got a leopard gecko at about your grandson's age and 20 years later still have it!

Aliza

Visit our friends