Gecko has

Pesto

Hi,
my gecko has a problem with her eye. There is a dried bulge (see picture and more detailed description below) which I don't know how to get rid of. Spoke with the vet, although not a reptile vet but there are none where I live.
Thanks!

About your leo:
- Sex - Female
- Age & Weight - 2.5yrs; 90 grams
- How long have you owned your leo; 2.3 years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)- pet shop

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo- everyday
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. - no
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. - no
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) - one white and one brown usually, same as usual
- When was the last time he/she went - last night
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on
About 3 weeks ago I noticed that Pesty had something cloudy on the top of right eye. It seemed to get better but after a couple of days it got worse again and the left one started to look cloudy. I gave him some sterile physiological solution. After a couple of days the left eye was fine but the right one kept on having the weird cloudyness which now turned into a dry yellow bulge. I went to the vet who suggested eye drops with mild antibacterial properties. The vet is not a specialized reptile vet because there are none in the area, so unfortunately going to a reptile vet is out of the question. ). Now the bulge is still there but it looks dried up. Here is a picture. Any advice?

attachment.php

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 70cm x 45cm x 40cm
- Type (ex. glass tank): plastic tank
- Type of substrate: paper
- Hides, how many, what kind: 1 moist hide with moss and a coconut shel on the heated mat
B) Heating
- Heat source: heated mat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) hot side ~26C cool side ~22C
- Method of regulating heat source thermostat above head mat
- What are you using to measure your temps- thermometer and thermostat
- Do you have any lights (describe) - no
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) none
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) - recently changed her diet from locusts to a mix of crickets and occasional mealworms. Try to feed her everyday, until she is satisfied and if she doesn't eat when hand fed I feed him 4 crickets if not I make sure he always has 2 crickets in her box and the amounts vary from 0 to up to 10 a day. Usually 1-2 crickets. But recently she doesn't eat from the dish but needs to be hand fed.

- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) both
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) Calcium powder with D3
- What are you gut loading food with - not much; mostly feed them with oats and cucumbers

Attachments

• DSC02890.jpg
    DSC02890.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would guess that possibly there was a small piece of stuck shed or something else that may have gotten infected. Could you or the vet look at the eye under magnification and see if there's anything in there that could be removed with tweezers?

Aliza

Visit our friends