Gecko lying upside down?

I

Izzie

I have had my leopard geckos for about 7-8 years and never seen this before, but recently I've noticed Izzie lying on her back.
I just have no idea what to make of it.
Is this normal? Could she have somehow flipped and not been able to get back up? I always put her back upright just in case.
Will it harm her being upside down?
Please help, I have no idea what I should do when she is like that!
Thanks

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Good job you are turning her back up, I concur with Fe, vet trip asap.
Bit of info, the geckos respiratory system does not work effectively when upsidedown, hence the "trance" some go into when held on their backs.
So it would be increasingly difficult for her to breath on her back.

Hope i helped in some way.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
UPSIDE DOWN

I have had my leopard geckos for about 7-8 years and never seen this before, but recently I've noticed Izzie lying on her back.
I just have no idea what to make of it.
Is this normal? Could she have somehow flipped and not been able to get back up? I always put her back upright just in case.
Will it harm her being upside down?
Please help, I have no idea what I should do when she is like that!
Thanks

Some of the Enigmas that have ? problems
will do this.
Vet will be as confused as we are.
Problem Enigma in video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EXm0c2hqU

http://www.youtube.com/user/GECKOGATHERING

robin

7-8 or eight years ago was pre-enigma. if she is on her back chances are she may have had some sorta neurological trauma and may not make it

greedo11

Good luck with your leo Izzie,it must be worrying and I do hope its nothing too serious.
I find it intresting though when Ive seen "enigma behavior" mentioned, do certain morphs have certain quirks, characteristics and problems due to genetics?
This is prob a really obvious question but im pretty much a gecko novice and dont breed.
Just curious!

STUTFL

Enigmas in particular often exhibit what appear to be neurological problems, such as twitching and circling in response to stress - don't recall the percentage. More than 20%, I think. Someone else will probably have filled you in properly by the time I even get this typed. :laugh4:

STUTFL

I'm not a breeder and don't know of any other morph-related problems other than the light-sensitivity issues common to all albino animals - there's probably something, though.

I

Izzie

Thankyou all for your replies. Sadly she passed away before I could take her to the vet.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Hard Loosing One

Thankyou all for your replies. Sadly she passed away before I could take her to the vet.

So Sorry.
It's hard loosing one.
Some unknown reasons for them passing
we .....or the Vet can't fix.
IMO ...this was one of them.
Take care. HJ

Dholbrook

Hi. I’m sorry to ask this but my gecko just started doing this also and the vet can’t get me in for atleast a week they said. How long after it’s did this did she pass?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's pretty unusual for a gecko to lie upside down, though I once saw someone's bearded dragon who frequently lay upside down.

Aliza

Visit our friends