gecko not eating consistintly

baseball

hi, i have had my leopard gecko for since christmas, he is now 8 inches from tip to tip, within the last two weeks he will not eat out of his food bowl. however if i put the lively meal worms in front of him on the ground he will eat them. what could have caused this and is there anything that will get him to eat out of the bowl again. help would be apprieciated. thank you .

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They get lazy. Either hand feed him or wait till he's hungry enough. I have lost that battle with most of mine, but I'm a softy.

Aliza

baseball

They get lazy. Either hand feed him or wait till he's hungry enough. I have lost that battle with most of mine, but I'm a softy.

Aliza

ok, i was thinking the same thing, so i took the meal worms out today so that he will realize he needs to eat tomoro when i put some in the dish.

STUTFL

I only have the one, so I hand feed. It's both some nice quality time with him and some gecko exercise, since when I take him out of the tank all he usually does is crawl up my shirt and hide in my sleeve for twenty minutes. :laugh:

But yeah, yours will probably eat if he's hungry enough. It might help to put a little bit of something edible in there for the worms so a few of them move around and eat.

STUTFL

Take a bug, drop it in the cage. Repeat as needed. :tongue3:
They'll eat mealies out of your fingers (especially if you're not quick enough dropping the food!), but it's usually easy enough to just drop the worms around in the cage unless you have a ton of stuff for them to get lost under.

baseball

i tried more hand feeding today, however he still only ate one. im going to try later after my homework.

baseball

he just ate one from me putting it in front of his hide :) are there any more suggestions i may have in order to get him to eat more? thank you.

STUTFL

Well, I suppose for starters you can change feeders to get his interest back, and/or you can try waiting a while to see if he gets hungry. And if he's been a growing leo for most of the time you've had him, he just may be eating less now. And if their other needs are met they can go quite a while without food; that's what the tail's for. ;)
I think that's mainly so they can lounge around and make us fret with their picky eating. :(

Last edited:

Visit our friends