Gecko Unit (aka Leo De' Grand Skyscraper)

Neo.Reptiliac

Well I decided to do this a good while back. But cause I had a small car I couldn't haul any of the wood I needed. So finally I got my lazy brother to help me out with his car and then I had to borrow him and his saw lol (I'm scared of using a saw, and cant cut a straight line to save my life, go figure) I'm sure most of you don't have any of those issues so this should be a cake walk for you. Anyways I've never built any kind of cage in my life. Ive decorated them but never built one per'say so this was a whole new experience for me. I took my time and even then I still made mistakes. Everyone makes them so don't feel bad if you do as well. Trial and error as they say, right?
Any who enough with the rambling and on with the project. I have a lot of leopard geckos and frankly I would like to see them in something larger and nicer then plastic containers. I'm sure that a lot of people that own a lot wants the same thing. But lets be honest, its hard to keep as many as some people have in anything other then racks. I watched a lot of people make racks over the years and wondered if there was some way I could make one on a more fancy scale. I realized to make it look nice the plastic containers would have to go. Cause there's nothing fancy about plastic containers.
I thought about getting some of those stackable enclosures. But most of them where made for snakes, not geckos. Not to mention the size of one that I wanted, would cost TONS. I think I asked one of the places that make them one time if they could make me a custom one, that would fit into the space that's vacant in my living room and they quoted me a few thousand dollars. I about choked on my own tongue. So I started plotting, and here is what Ive come up with.

First of all this is where it started. With a little sketch on the ol Photoshop.
unit.jpg

I decided on making 5 cages with one rack on top. 4ft across, each cage section 1ft tall and one hatchling rack on top that would actually hold some of my shoe box sized containers for baby geckos.

Once I started building it I decided that I would put a divider on 2 of the shelves to make 2 cages on each of those 2 instead of just one really long one. Those two can be used to house single males.
I started working on it tonight and here is where I got with it. I'm not done putting the shelves on. I still need to finish the hatchling rack on the top. After that I will start painting the whole thing black.
unit003.jpg

When I started I laid it all on its back and started putting the shelves on one at a time. Here is a link of what it looked like while I was doing that.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/neoreptiliac/Other/unit002.jpg
I used a paint can to help me hold the shelves up while I got the screws in.
The materials I used for the shelf parts you see here is half inch furniture grade plywood. I got it at Lowes.

I will add more as I complete it. Tomorrow I go to get the paint and finish screwing in the hatchling rack piece of plywood shelving. After painting I will add the dividers which I will paint first. Then paint the backing and add it on. Well you can just wait and see XD there's a lot to describe.

Neo.Reptiliac

today002.jpg

Just a little something today. I got most of it painted. Finally got my drill back from my brother lol. The dividers are cut and the top shelf is cut. I just need to paint the rest, and put it all together. Before I put the dividers in however, I will be putting the heat tape down then sliding in the dividers.

Neo.Reptiliac

Also I noticed that the back right side of one of my shelves is a little off on where I screwed it in at the wrong place. So I went back and simply took out the screw, let the shelf's edge fall naturally where it should be then screwed it back in. Simple fix.

Ratman667

It looks good so far.

However, with the shelves being as wide as they are, they might start sagging after some time with weight on them. The pegboard will help it in the rear, but what about the front?

Neo.Reptiliac

Its no where near done. The shelves will have dividers in them. making 3 of them 2 cages instead of one. The other two will be one cage each. Also the front will have a solid peice of plywood screwed to the whole thing. The sheet of plywood will have parts cut out and glass doors installed. Sort of like this.
Untitled-1.jpg

Neo.Reptiliac

Oh and also this unit is being mounted inside my wall. So it will be flush with the existing wall. I plan on putting some trim around it to finish the look. =)

KelliH

I wish I was "handy" like that. I've tried building my own racks before and the finished product, while functional, was pretty awful looking. Kudos to you.

Neo.Reptiliac

I wish I was "handy" like that. I've tried building my own racks before and the finished product, while functional, was pretty awful looking. Kudos to you.

Thanks. I can't take too much credit for it tho. I'm afraid of saws. Ive had my brother come over and cut the wood for me lol. And another friend of mine has a table saw, he is the one that's cutting the squares for the doors out of the front piece of plywood for me. I'm just the supervisor and planner XD

Neo.Reptiliac

Thanks. The project has been a little delayed cause Im getting my floor redone in hardwood over the next week.

enigmaslim

i was gonna build on of these over top of my 55g tank that has a nice black stand, but I might get rid of the tank and just add more selves. I was gonna have 6 units over top of the 55g and keep my females in the 55g and males in seperate units and keep a few open for breeding rooms. but I just think having more selves like yours is a better way to go.

Neo.Reptiliac

Just remember how tall the unit you want to build will be. I would give each cage at lease a 1ft hight. Or else you wont have much room to put many things inside there with the Leos.

Update: we got the floor fixed in my house, now I'm going to put down the hardwood flooring and work on finishing up this project. All thats left to finish this unit is wiring the heat tape, laying the vinyl inside the floor of each cage and sealing it to make it water proof. Then Adding the front with the glass doors to each unit and sealing it.

Visit our friends