geckooo lost tail ):

geckooo

ok well... I had a new viv a wooden one I set it all up..... had it in tank for a few days one night I was feeding it like normal.. and the glass fell out on top of the gecko I panic, get off fast! it ran behind the heat mat it was shaking its tail bit it didn't come off.... so I left it... it went into the hide I wanted to check to see it was ok and there I seen my worst nightmare... her tail was off.. I was shocked and felt really bad she started to hate me ): and hissed at me.... 3 days have past.. and I moved gecko into my other tank till I fixed the glass also tired to feed it... didn't eat so I am worried ):

the tail is on the fix though she's only like near a year old.... and her nice tail is gone ): but she seems to be alot better than before because every time I moved she use to jump away but now she seems to be calm but I still feel really bad 0:

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Accidents happen hon... don't beat yourself up too badly over this... just live and learn from the experience. Next time maybe try sealing the glass into the wood with some fish tank silicon or other reptile safe adhesive so something like this don't happen again. Sometimes it can be hard with home made tanks esp. if your new to the whole enclosure building experience.

How much of the tail was lost? All? part? Half? can you post a picture? Also it may be a couple few days, maybe a week before she is calm enough to eat again but keep trying, make sure she has her suppliments and all is right with her husbandry. Maybe keep her a lil warmer than you've been as the warmer temps aide in digestion and nutrition absorption which she will need during her healing process.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
When geckos lose their tails, they lose all of their stored fat and nutrients, and that can be a big issue. However, it is not life-threatening the first time it happens. The object dropping was a big shock to the gecko, and that was the reason for the tail dropping. Just keep the gecko in a nice, simple substrate, keep it quarantined, make sure it is supplemented (very important to restore nutrients) and keep the heat up and running. The tail will grow back, but it will appear very bulbous and round.

Visit our friends