Giant day gecko skin problems

jfryan

I have a giant day gecko who has developed these weird black patches on his skin over the last couple of days. Anyone have any idea on what might be causing it? I don't know how old he is, I rescued him from a local pet shop about 5 months ago, where he was being kept in a very small enclosure. He's been pretty healthy, eating well, both dusted crickets and Repashy day gecko diet. He's in an enclosure that measures 30" long, x 16" deep x 24" tall. The enclosure gets misted twice daily and has a fogging system that runs about 5 times a day for 30 minutes. Humidity is a pretty steady 70%. Temperatures from 70 in the colder areas to 85 or so in the warmer areas under a basking light. There is also a heat pad on the outside at one end, near a vertical bamboo branch, and he will hang out there at night, sometimes right on the glass in front of the pad. The pad isn't hot to the touch, so I don't think he's getting burned, and if he was, I'd think it would be on his feet, or his belly.

Is this just a bad shed? Are they prone to fungal infections on the skin? He has no tankmates, and I don't ever handle him, so I don't think it's skin damage, unless he's scraping on a rough edge inside one of the bamboo tubes.

He's active and eating well.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have!

DSC_1866.jpg DSC_1880.jpg

brendan0923

Judging from the temps you described, I wouldn't think it's shed... could be a fungal infection. Is it spreading? Have you noticed it get bigger since you first saw it?

Visit our friends