Golden Gecko not eating

goldengeckogal

I recently bought a Golden Gecko from a pet store and she was extremely skinny. She has absolutely no fat reserve on her tail. You can see her spine and ribs and her eyes are sunken as well. She will not eat. I have made a little banana mush and if I put that at the end of her snout she will eventually lick it off. She will not open her mouth for me at all. What should I do?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. I'm not a golden gecko keeper but I can tell you my general thoughts:
--what you probably should have done was not to buy a gecko in poor health to begin with, but it's done, so we have to move on
--I'd recommend you getting as much food into it by the method you describe that works so you can get a fecal sample and then finding a reptile vet ASAP to see if the gecko can be treated and saved
--there's also the option of bringing it back to the pet store to exchange if it's still within that period
--if you have any other reptiles, keep this one far away. Handle and feed it last and wash your hands well before touching any other geckos. There are some nasty contagious diseases out there and you could infect your whole collection (if you have one) without proper quarantine .

Good luck with her.

Aliza

Visit our friends