Good ways to bond with your leo?

iOceaan

I'm new to the leo world and recently got two males from a friend of a friend (They are seemingly fine together because they have been put into the same tanks since the younger one hatched). One is 5/6 months and the other is about a year old. They don't seem to mind being out and about but they do seem more curious. The older one is more prone to being handled, but I just want to know if there are any good ways to help them bond and become comfortable with your being.​

Last edited:

ChizoReptiles

first of all DONT put 2 males together, one of them will be killed eventualy
2nd - if you want them to "bond" with you you can handle them everyday until they dont mind being handled..

Nooon

Hi :) I believe you soon will have to separate them. Perhaps one of them is not sexually mature yet and that´s why they get along... or one of them really is a sister?
About bonding - all leos have their personality. I have experience only from my one and only female leo. She´s been in my care for 10 years and I figure we are friends. I don´t handle her a lot. Not even once a week. When I do it it´s only for a few minutes (less than five). If I have not seen her for a few days I "dig her out" for a health checkup. Sometimes, rarely, I take her out to show her to some new guest. Still she´s not afraid to be handled. She prefers not to... but she´s not afraid. When I take her out of her terrarium she keeps trying to get back in there. There´s no place like home!;) She prefers my hands to someone else´s. When I am trying to pass her over to someone else´s hands she keeps turning and coming back to stay with me. She does not like the smell of perfume from my hands so my first tip is to use perfume free soap and, if that is something you use, lotion. She does not like my hands when they are cold. That´s obvious but I still mention it since I keep forgetting because being cold is a natural state for me. ...and of course remember always to move slowly, turn the TV down and ask your children to be quiet while your handling or feeding the leos. My best tip to socialize with your leos is to feed them out of your hand. I hold the live roach in it´s rear and my leo grabs it. Great fun! If it is feeding time (one or two days after previous feeding) she´s almost always interested when she hears me handling the roach boxes. But it has to be in the evening or early night - mostly she take no interest any other time. To her I mostly mean something exciting and positive - food :) She prefers peace an quiet and to stay hidden but when she so chooses she´ll come out and have a look. She´s not afraid of me even when I cause "chaos" by moving her things... as I have been doing last thursday for spring cleaning.

Last edited:

morphmom

Well, I'm new to Leo's too but I did notice a few things with Mylo (6 month old tremper albino)

-I take him out at the same time every other night (9:00-9:30pm)
-I only have one floor lamp on in the room because he's so much calmer in low light.
-I don't pet him as he really doesn't seem to like it. Instead, I let him use me as a jungle gym.
-I carry him in my cupped together hands and try to move slow and steady.
-I always feed him after he's been out because then it's like a treat for being a good boy.
-I only keep him out until he starts to get fidgety, then it's back home he goes

Just a few idea's, they really do all have different personalities.:)

Visit our friends